Author Topic: Poor kitten  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
Poor kitten
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
I was browsing facebook today when a status from one of my second cousin's popped up. It said something along the lines of 'how long do I put up this kitten? He's attacking my children' (it was in text speak and I couldn't understand it properly) I saw he was only 9 weeks old and told her that he should really still be with his mum. I then said she could try getting the children to give him some tiny bits of ham and tuna so he learns they are bringers of nice things.

Well it really hit the fan then. Apparently all kittens should leave their mum at 6 weeks old, and anyway it's not her fault as somebody dumped him on her. I was also told I am an interferring female dog, and I should f**k off and die. I feel so sorry for that poor kitten. He's going to be sent from pillar to post until he is run over or killed by a dog.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline eatingdirtysocks

• Posts Too Much!
  • Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
Re: Poor kitten
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
Oh I know how that is. My friends are so mean to animals ): I always want to say something to them. My friend just had a 4 week year old kitten (WAY TOO YOUNG) in a house full of 9 dogs. Her girlfriend would get up and just let the cat cling to her legs, didn't even bother moving her off. They got rid of it because it peed on the bed :/ then they got a new one yesterday and told the girl that they got it from that they had all the supplies (not even close. they use sand for litter and asstrays for food/water dishes). I feel so bad.

Aren't kittens able to be away by 8 weeks?

And I know exactly how you feel. I'm afraid to interfer with my friend because she thinks she knows all and that animals are just animals. Not companions that you must BOND to and BUILD a relationship with
Benji, Lucky, Fry, Averri

(RIP Theodore, Joey, Alphy, Felix, Kujee, Howie, Ernest)

http://theratemporium.webs.com/

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
In the UK it's recommended kittens don't leave their mum until they're 12 weeks old as they're more mentally mature so they won't be as nervy in a new home, and they will hopefully have completed their kitten vaccinations.  A lot of people will remove feral kittens from their mums at 8 weeks old, but that's because the kittens will start to pick up on the mum's bad habits.

My cousin has 4 kids who are completely feral, so they where probably terrorising the poor kitten.  It would serve them right if they got scratched.  It'd soon teach the little horrors to leave the poor kitten alone if they got caught a couple of times.  A cat scratch never did anyone any harm.  But they'll get rid of him within 2 weeks because he's not perfect.  I can't understand why people get kittens and expect them to be 100% from the word go.  People don't expect a 1 year old human child to be 100% potty trained do they?  If they wanted a perfect cat then why can't they rescue?  They could choose the animal they want then.

I enjoy being an interfering cow if it gets people to stand up and take notice of what they're doing.  I've decided to delete my cousin as she was bringing stuff up from the past, and saying that I couldn't possibly know anything because I wasn't perfect as a teenager.  So what?  I've been training in animal care for 2 years now, so I like to think I know my stuff when if comes to common pets.  I might not be completly in control of some aspects of my life, but it doesn't mean I can't have some good ideas.

Sorry, I went off into a bit of a rant then :(
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »
In the US, most people get rid of kittens by 8 weeks old, though I see A LOT of people doing it by 6. Same goes for puppies.

I'm not proud to say this, but when I was younger, I stole a kitten from a similar situation.  ::) One of the kids was carrying this tiny kitten around by its neck, so... i swooped in, put it in my coat, and took it home.

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
Almost every ad for kittens on our CL is for 6 weeks old or even less. At 9 weeks, the kitten should be fine on their own. Kittens separated too early can be a bit neurotic but it doesn't make them bad kitties. I cite for example, my little girl Hera. She came to us at 4 weeks old because she just showed up one day. I think she was born in our garage but we could never catch the mother or the other kitten she was sitting on the porch with. She is 4 now and she still nurses on stuff animals or certain fabrics of blanket. Other than that, she is a model cat. Or at least as model as any cat will ever be.
That all said, I agree with your wanting to pull your hair out about this kitten. I'm imagining that the kitten is just trying to play with her new human friends. Both of my cats would stalk my feet incesantly when they were babies. If you don't want to deal with nutjob kitten stuff, get an adult cat. Preferably 2 or older. Anyone younger is still going to act like a baby because they ARE babies. 

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
Wasn't she ASKING what to do with that kitten?   ::)

Go figure.   :doh:

Needless to say I don't understand some people because I was always trying to figure out how to leave any assests I still happened to have (um...not many!) to the prolonged care of my cats.  And when my health started doing every last weird thing in the book last year, I made arrangements to know someone would be able to at least foster if not adopt my kitties since they were older and even rescues wouldn't probably take them in.  Growing up, we had to re-home a couple, but I also think my parents just sort of had too many cats for all of the politics (between cats) to necessarily work out.  There are much better resources available on cat behavior now, too.

That was a rant, sorry.  Well...all the best - Raaz.