Author Topic: I think My girl has a prolapsed uterus  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Rosepetalbed

I think My girl has a prolapsed uterus
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
I have never had a rat with a prolapsed uterus but the 24 hour vet stated by my description it sounds exactly like it....the initial visit for a 24 hour vet is $98.00 plus surgery, etc.....he stated a visit to my Vet would be perfectly fine as its not life threatening....has anyone else ever experienced this? What was the outcome? I just isolated my girl from her cage mates and plan on calling the vet first thing!!! :BlueDumboBigEyes:
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline Caresmom5

Re: I think My girl has a prolapsed uterus
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:25:52 PM »
I do NOT know how this is with rats. But I DO know it's not life threatening with humans. May be very scary to have, but it's not as harmful as you would think. Docs act like it's almost no big deal...even if the patient is freaking out!
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
Yeah I freaked out she was just sitting there looking at me like I was crazy..... :worry:Fingers crossed all goes as planned!
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
A prolapsed uterus is definitely life-threatening!  Her environment needs to be really clean, to prevent any further infection, and she will need a spay ASAP.

This is a prolapsed uterus  (link only for the squeamish)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/rattiluv/medical/Spays%20and%20Neuters/ProlapsedUterusIndica2yearoldgirljan1712.jpg

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »
I figured it could be different for rats. I know for a fact it is definitely not life threatening in humans. Many women who get it are a bit surprised that their doc isn't very concerned about it..lol. I hope she ends up being ok!! Please let us know what happens.
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
She is in iso away from her cage mates she has no litter etc...., just clean fleece......The vet Opened at 7 am (I called on the DOT)  but soonest they could see her was 10 am....I unfortunately have work for 11 and the vet is 1 hour away one way so the hubby is taking her....will be watching my phone like a hawk waiting for an update will share once I receive one....  :worry:

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
A prolapsed uterus isn't a trivial problem.  She needs to be spayed immediately.  When my girl Moya's uterus prolapsed, it bled lightly non-stop until she was able to have surgery - that's certainly not a state in which you want to leave a rat waiting long.  Unfortunately, she passed away during surgery, probably due in part to the fact that she was prolapsed for several hours before she saw the vet (it happened at night so I didn't see it until morning) and lost a fair bit of blood.

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
The vet called and is doing the surgery Today and wasn't sure if it was her bladder sticking out or her Uterus...But she is leaning towards uterus but won't know until she starts....Please send good vibes and prayers for Mary....I am going to be a wreck at work.... :sad1: :sad11:

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
I did have one girl that actually just had a vaginal prolapse that didn't require a spay. We anesthetized her, replaced it, placed a suture to close down the opening to prevent the tissue from slipping back through and she healed just fine. The biggest challenge was keeping her away from the suture for the first 24hrs.

Glad she is getting the care she needs- waiting for a good update!
Kati33
Bo(vine), Watusi, Charolais and Orca the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »
Well the Hubby call and Vet stated it was a "Stalk Tumor" in her vagina wall (Stalk being like a tree truck it has a base and the branches that stem out) she removed as much as she could without leave a hole AND did her spay as well....she was waking up as the vet called and hubby will pick her this afternoon...so happy things went smoothly and shes okay!!! :hyper: The vet did express that with Tumors that can reoccur which is something we will watch for and hope for the best!  :bow: