Author Topic: Oops, I did it again... (new kitty addition!)  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Sidders

Oops, I did it again... (new kitty addition!)
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Apologies for the terrible '90s reference, but it seemed fitting. ;D

Meet Carter! He is now my 4th cat, and the 3rd I've rescued from outside. I think I may have a problem... but you see, I recently moved out of my parents' house into my own 1 bedroom apartment in a little beach town—terrible idea, there are SO many feral/stray cats here!—and I had to leave 2 out of my other 3 cats with my parents. It killed me to leave my boy tuxedo with them (I get to visit a lot though since I'm only 20 minutes away) but I did it because both of those cats are quite used to having a big screened-in porch and they loooove to watch the morning activities of the local squirrels/birds. My tortie, she doesn't really care about outside shenanigans and she's joined at my hip so she came with.

Well, I move here and there's this scrawny black cat that supposedly lives at the complex and begs everyone for food. One thing led to another and I started feeding him for the past 3 weeks and you know what happens next. He begged to come inside every day so how could I just leave him? Today I made the final decision that I do in fact want a second cat here (crossing fingers intros will go well :puppy_dog_eyes:). He got a bath with some Dawn to kill any live fleas and a dose of Revolution. He's now at my boyfriend's place until he gets the all clear that his tests are negative and until he gets neutered. I'm suspecting some intestinal worms, probably tapeworms (I thought I saw a piece hanging out of his bum the other day), but we'll find all that out tomorrow at his first vet appointment.

Enough rambling. Pictures!

Making himself at home.

Kinda hard to tell here because he was being all wiggly and trying to follow me around, but he's quite skinny.

All at once now, "awww." Sleeping with his head on me. :heart:

Yup, definitely here to stay.

He's not a replacement to my other boy, Sid, but it doesn't hurt to love on another boy kitty... they're definitely more easy going than those witchy girls. :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Sidders

Re: Oops, I did it again... (new kitty addition!)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:15:30 PM »
Bonus picture of Missy, my tortoiseshell. This is usually how we spend our evenings watching tv... she's quite the character.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
I hope intros go well!  Sounds like he picked the right house to demand entry to.  ;)

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
Aww, hope he gets the all clear at the vet. He's quite handsome, looks just like my Batman.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Sidders

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
I hope intros go well!  Sounds like he picked the right house to demand entry to.  ;)
I am such a sucker. :doh: No more this time, I mean it!!

Aww, hope he gets the all clear at the vet. He's quite handsome, looks just like my Batman.
Thank you! I love black kitties. I have a tuxedo, but this is my first all black cat. I'm curious to see how his coat will be when he gets healthier. Not sure if he'll keep the medium-ish coat he has now or go completely long-haired on me.

Carter also got all good news from the vet. Man was he fiesty though! He's been nothing but sweet thus far, but definitely showed a different side at the vet. He was growling up a storm, glad I decided to quickly trim his nails yesterday. He's been put through a lot though just in these past two days, I don't really blame him for freaking out. Negative for both FeLV/FIV and his fecal came back completely negative as well. He actually took a MASSIVE poop in his carrier on the way over, making it quite a stinky car ride over. My vet isn't doing neuters this week and I want all the testosterone gone before I attempt intros, so he's still living at my bf's house for now. Can't wait until he gets to come live with me. :hyper:

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
I'm glad he's got a clean bill of health!  That's great!  :)

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Thats great! not the pooing in the car thing though haha.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Handsome boy.  I have to agree with you on the boy vs. girl.  I love my girl, but oh boy is she different from my big, mellow boy that passed in '00.  She's even night and day from my nephew's neurotic wreck of a boy.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
Looks a lot like my handsome old boy (humane socieity).  Seems comfy at home.  Maybe someone "fogot him."

Alwyas becaureful, but still he's so lucky to have you!

- Raaz.

Offline missamy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
What a cutie!!!  I absolutely LOVE black cats.  :heart:  :heart: 
And  :heart:  to you for taking him in!
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  - Edward Everett Hale

Offline Sidders

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
Carter was neutered today! Omg he's a total drunk kitty, he can't walk at all. I have him nicely setup in a dog crate though with a cozy blanket and small litter box. :heart: Poor poot must not be feeling very well, he wouldn't eat any of his food. :(

Carter also seems to have a terrible habit of going potty when we're going to the vets (last time was the poop in the carrier). Apparently, he peed on his blanket that I had in his carrier so they gave him a new towel, and then when I picked him up, he had peed on that one too! My car now smells like tom cat urine. :confused: I sprayed a bunch of Febreze in my car so hopefully that helps and the blankets are soaking in about 90% vinegar lol. It's terrible how potent unneutered male cat urine is, I'm so glad he finally got neutered. Not sure how much longer my boyfriend would've been willing to put up with the stink either. :-[ Carter never sprays, but my bf's apartment smells like the cat room in an animal shelter because of how strong the urine smell is. I'm never able to smell my cats' urine in the litter box, but man oh man, does Carter's box stink. I kinda forgot since Sid how bad it truly is.

I'm hoping to bring him to my place by Friday or so.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
It's normal for the anesthesia to upset their tummies (which is why they tell you not to feed after midnight the night before), but he should be eating by tomorrow.  Poor bub.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »
I had a boy who was hyperthyroid (and even when treated) always had to pee!  So he peed on the way to and from the vet fairly regularly.  Sometimes it's just a nervous thing.

My boy after his neutering would forget his stuff hurt and jump up on stuff and you could see him go "ouch!"  I made him ramps so he could get on the bed and snuggle and stuff.  It wore off in about 3 days or so.

My girl kitty was NOT happy about her spaying and wouldn't come out of the closet, so I brought her her favorite food and set a small litter box in there.  It took her about a week to get over it, but the favorite food thing lasted her whole life...like if I didn't give it to her I truly didn't love her!

Glad he got the care he needed.  I'm sure he's gonna be a sweetie.  Nothing like a sweet, silly boy!

;D - Raaz.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »
A little update.

Carter couldn't live with me. :( He's pretty cat aggressive, and my tortie wasn't having any of it either. While she would keep her distance and have a growling fit, he would just rush at her and attack. I kept them separated for a week, but with a small 600 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment, it just wasn't manageable. Missy (resident cat) was locked in my bedroom and as resident cat she should not have to be banished from the main living area. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare bedroom that I could have put Carter in. Also, my parents go on vacation every once in a while so I'm expected to bring Missy and stay at their house while they're away to take care of my other 2 cats. If I was having so much trouble introducing Carter to Missy, it would have been way too hectic to bring him over and try to introduce him to 2 more cats!

I wish I could have taken intros a lot slower and in a more practical environment, but the situation was just too stressful on all 3 of us. There IS good news though! Some neighbors by my parents were kind of looking to get a cat so my mom asked if they wanted him. They said sure and we brought him to their house about a week ago. Now he has an entire 3 bedroom house all to himself! I visited him today and he really looks like a prince with his own kingdom.

While I'm always skeptical of some people's ability to take care of their pets, I have to realize that this outcome is a lot better than him just living on the streets or ending up in a shelter (where I have no idea what home he'll end up in). My mom is friends with the woman so we can always get updates and visit him. Would I prefer him to be living with me? Of course I do, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :-\

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »
Oh that sucks!  I know you were attached, but that's awesome that he has a loving home now with loyal serfs  :yelcutelaugh:.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 11:02:17 PM »
I'm, too, sorry it didn't work out.  My last two were a black cat (he reminded me of him) and a tortie.

I hope all works out well, though.  You did a lot for him.

Best,

- Raaz.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »
Sometimes, it just doesn't work.  Good for you for finding him a place that did work!  Some people would have just given up on him at that point. 

Offline Sidders

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 03:10:21 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm just happy he has a home. :heart:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm just happy he has a home. :heart:

There is NOTHING wrong with that!  I am happy, too!  Good luck you stinker fella!   :wink5: - Raaz.