Author Topic: Dog Was Dumped...maybe?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Dog Was Dumped...maybe?
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
How do you tell if a dog was dumped, or if the dog is just lost?

I've recently acquired an unaltered, male chihuahua mix. I saw him wandering down a Farm to Market road yesterday night, he was nearly hit by a car and my girls had frightened him into heading toward train tracks that run right next to a highway.

I scooped him up and then went and knocked on all of my neighbors doors to see if he belonged to them, he doesn't.

He's well mannered, though a bit winy and he is thin, had some ticks, and had an unpleasant, musky smell. I washed him today and he is currently drying in a crate. He was wearing a collar when I picked him up, and when I took him out to potty this morning he bolted out of sight, he returned less than 30 minutes later. Also, I think he's middle-aged, his hips may be bothering him a little and he has a damaged left ear, nothing serious just the ear seems to have been crushed a while back and the ear never flattened back out.

This is the first time I've encountered a dog like this and I don't know if he was lost, or dumped on a country road. Does anyone have a clue? And, perhaps a few tips on caring for a smaller dog. I have very little experience with dogs under 20 pounds.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Dog Was Dumped...maybe?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
Put up some lost dog signs and see I guess?
If they're not majorly thin it's hard to tell if they're a dump or just lost. They can get pretty bad looking if they're used to regular care depending what they get into while gone. I'd wait a while a see if anyone claims him, check local vets and shelters and see if someone said they had lost a dog like him.
I've had no experience with small dogs, I live with a bulldog. But I do know you shouldn't carry them around all the time, and shouldn't overly baby them because it will give them a small dog complex.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
Contact local vets and shelters.  He's probably lost.  Most dumpers remove collars.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
I put up a craigslist ad for him right after I found him, but the longer I have him the more I notice is wrong with him and it makes me think he was dumped. His legs are bowed and one hip is kinda funky (he shifts weight off of the leg and walks lightly on it, he also whimpered when I was washing it).

I'm going to go up the street to the local vet tomorrow and ask if they recognize him and I'll call the Animal Services and see if anyone has reported him missing. Other than that I don't really know what to do about him...

Offline couturepins

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
Taking care of a small breed isn't much different than taking care of larger breeds, really. So whatever you do for your bigger dogs, do it for him, too.

Good luck with him :thumbsup2:

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
I wouldn't assume that problems mean he was dumped. I have one dog with seizures that would look really bad really fast if she went without her numerous meds. My other dog has two legs with orthopedic issues despite surgery and would also look horrible if he was out on his own.

Definitely take him to the vet to have him scanned for a microchip and alert the local shelters and vet clinics as that is where most people start looking for missing pets.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
I also wouldn't assume any of that means he's dumped. We have one old dog here with issues and my dog who would act like she was a regular abuse victim if she were lost.

If he has a collar, I'd assume he is NOT a dump off. People take off collars when dumping dogs.

Also it sounds as those he may have been lost for a bit. And like his hip could be injured, especially if he's whining. Would explain his weight, too. Though small dogs can often look a bit thin, especially if you're used to larger breeds. He could have escaped and been wondering for awhile. Not everyone uses craigslist.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
You should also take him to a vet or shelter so they can check for a microchip. You never know, he could have one. :)

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
contact local pounds/shelters as well as ones in surrounding areas (required in some states if a dog is found, within 48 hours)   have him checked for a microchip also.   

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
Alright, I just got back from the vet, they scanned him and found nothing and they couldn't search through their files without a name or a rabies tag. I called the local Animal Services and they said that someone did report a small dog missing, but they also said it was a white shitzu with brown spots and they said it was female, I'll get a call back from them later on today. Since I live outside of a small town that is 15 miles from the edge of a city, I called the city's Animal Services as well, but they gave me the run around and said to call back tomorrow.

He acted very strangely at the vet clinic, instead of being scared for his life, like I had expected because of how timid he is, he was extatic to be there. And he nearly refused to leave. Then, when we walked out, he tried to get into a red car, he wasn't interested in doing anything else, and it couldn't have been that he was confused about my own vehicle because we walked there. It was strange...

Anyhow, here are some pictures, I apologize for the blurriness, he likes me a bit too much. ::)

He weighs about 10 pounds, I've been feeding about a 1/3rd of a cup in the morning and at night. Does that sound about right for a dog his size? He doesn't seem hungry after he's done and he doesn't really beg for more, but it seems he's grateful for just about anything I offer him, so that's no help.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
Just go by the feed guidelines on the back of the bag and adjust if he seems hungry still.

He doesn't look extremely underweight to me at all. I don't see ribs or hipbones. People are extremely used to overweight dogs. I know people with incredibly in shape dogs that people seem to think are emaciated.  ::)

I'd contact shelters within 50-60 miles. Dogs can travel far. And perhaps put up fliers?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
The guidelines never seem to workout for me....

Yeah, his hips don't protrude too much and his ribs do still have a bit of a covering over them, so that's good. And, I know what you mean, back when my mutt was all muscly I was constantly told that she needed to be fed more and that I was starving her. :doh:

I'll see about putting up some fliers. Oh! And I just realized that we have a few stores with bulletin boards, I can go check if there are any missing posters when I go to put up fliers. Hopefully someone is looking for him and I'll find his owner soon. He's sweet, but we really don't have the time or money to neuter and house train him, it seems by his behavior that he was an outside dog.

Do people report missing dogs to non-profits?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
They might, it's worth checking out! The bulletin boards are a great idea, too. You can ask stores if you can put up lost dog signs, as well.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:12 AM »
No, nice lookin' lil' fellow!

I UNFORTUNATELY have known people who have dumped dogs (and also people who've rescued them!) and will often just drive a while out of town and do it.

If it were me, I'd post stuff at the vets and maybe a few other places...just make sure someone can describe him well.

Also...if no home, can you/would you keep the feller?  Important consideration!

Sounds like you've done everything right!

- Raaz.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »
I called around to all the rescues, had an ad up, and no one called about him. All of my horses came down with strangles and now require antibiotics, so I no longer have the slightest chance of being able to afford him. I called a local Dachshund rescue yesterday that I knew took good care of their dogs and I ended up getting a ride there after they agreed to take him in. The rescue is run by an amicable couple that live in the country and take in Dachshunds from all over the southern us.

The husband gave us directions and it turns out the rescue is only a short drive away, 15 minutes to be exact. When we arrived we were given a tour of the place, and he showed us all of the kennels and pens. The dogs were by no means crowded, the max was 2 to a pen and the pens were a good size. All of the dogs looked clean and well fed, and when asked he said that all of the dogs were spayed and neutered except one and that she was scheduled to be spayed the next morning. He was even more than happy to tell me how many dogs he kept personally and how many were dogs that had been rescued.

After I got comfortable I handed lil' fella to him. The man loved on him and kissed him and was very gentle with him. I pointed out all of his old injuries and told him about his sore hips, he said that he'd take him to the vet in the next couple days and get him checked out. If he's healthy awesome, if not he said he'd take care of anything that needs to be taken care of and get him neutered asap, so that he could be adopted.

Before we left he put lil' fella in a kennel within a pen with 2 other dogs. As soon as the gate was shut he went up and greeted the other dogs and was very calm, his tail was wagging. He even tried to play with the other dogs through the fence, something he'd never attempted with my girls.

He's in good hands now, and I think I made the right decision for him. We didn't have the money to get him neutered or UTD on shots, and, not to mention my Pyrenees mix was down right terrifying to him. It just wouldn't have worked out if I'd tried to keep him, he's much more comfortable with dogs his own size and he seemed much happier at the rescue.

I just wanted to update and let everyone know what happened with him. I know I didn't keep him long, but really and truly, if someone was looking for him in this small town they'd of found him by now.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
Well, good luck lil' fella!  And so glad you did all that work to find a good place to take him!  -  Raaz.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
I was so excited to see this.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/pet/3188717786.html

The above is a link to an ad that the rescue put up, the first dog listed, Humphrey, is lil' fella. He's wearing the cone of shame from his neuter and I'm so happy to see that he's doing well. Look at that smilin' face!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
Right on!

- Raaz.