Author Topic: ToTW Bad?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline RayN

• Unconditional Love is the Best Love
ToTW Bad?
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:38:36 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything about it.

I have a 10 year old Jack Russel and a 2 year old lab/shar-pei.
The Jack has been sick for about 2 weeks. I say sick, really she's been acting fine energy wise, and eating and drinking fine, but she's had pretty bad diarrhea. Like when she's laying down sometimes she'll get up and there will be a  small puddle of it, or we'll find little droplets around the house. She also has bad teeth, I never knew you were supposed to brush or worry about dog teeth till she was six and we've been battling it since then. There was a lump on her gum, I was worried it was an abscess or some other kind of infection and terrified it would get into her blood stream, so we made an apt at a vet we'd never seen, got in on the same day.
Our normal vet got stationed somewhere else and the Base Clinic was closed and wouldn't be able to see her for a few weeks.

So they did a fecal flotation, and a blood test. There were no parasites and no infection and her liver an kidneys were fine. He thinks she has a Lipoma on her leg but its growing slowly and no affecting her so we're not going to get it removed yet. He asked me what kind of food she was on and I expected himto push the kind they sell in the office but he didn't. He said he's seen 5 or 6 other dogs come in with no infection and no parasites and they all were on ToTW. He game me some Bio-sponge for the diarrhea and said I could give ehr rice and chicken or beef, and that I might consider changing to a more prominent dog food brand. They recomend sicence diet, but he said there are tons to chose from, periena and iams and such.  :icon_puke_r:

I told him we went with ToTW because she has pretty bad allergies and it seemed that grain free was what worked bast, I mentioned Blue Buffalo and he wasn't thrilled about that either. My other dog and my moms dog are both on ToTW too and have no issues, they've been on it for at least a year. It just seems weird to me that it could be her food all of the sudden.

In a few days if the diarrhea doesn't clear up we'll take her to a reccomended vet at a near by base, and if it does clear up we'll just schedule her teeth cleaning and ask him what he thinks about it.

But I was wondering if yall knew anything about this, or thought it was a strange as I did. I feel like it was a waste of 2 hours and $150, other than he told me the two lumps were probably nothing to worry about.
TIA
Ray

Order Mary Kay from my Mom!

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: ToTW Bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
Hmm, this is a possibility: http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/taste-of-the-wild-recall.html

Perhaps Salmonella could be the cause of the diarrhea, and I'm not sure it would show up on the tests they run. If not, it may be that she wasn't switched over slow enough. Do you still have her old food, or was she having a reaction to it and you had to switch cold turkey?

Edit: Better link; http://diamondpetrecall.com/recall-home/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:55:04 PM by HowlsOfAngels »
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline RayN

• Unconditional Love is the Best Love
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Well, we switched her cold turkey, she was having a reaction to it, but that was over 2 years ago. She's been on ToTW for over two years, which is the main reason I didn't think it could be the food. I'll read that link.

ETA: My state isn't in there, but I'll check the bags I have just to be sure. If it was contaminated, wouldn't it affect my other dog too? OR would him being bigger make him less prone to reacting. She's 20lbs he's 60.
Also:
Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting.
She has non bloody diarrhea but nothing else. She's just as active and eating and drinking like normal, her temp was normal. She's had the diarrhea for about 2 weeks now, and no other symptoms.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:05:07 PM by RayN »

Order Mary Kay from my Mom!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »
I feed TOW and know many who do who swear by it. If your vet has had others come in recently, maybe the food was contaminated where local people are purchasing it? And your other dog potentially has a stronger immune system?

It does not sound like salmonella poisoning to me. Science Diet is a really highly recommended brand by vets, but I don't know many people who use it. I would look into something grain free, personally. I feed partial raw/TOW and it's helped with my dog's sensitive stomach.

In a dog that age and two years on a food with no issue, to me it doesn't sound like the food itself unless it's been contaminated elsewhere.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
I feed TOW and know many who do who swear by it.

Science Diet is a really highly recommended brand by vets, but I don't know many people who use it.

1. Now that I've been feeding it for a few months and I've seen the difference, I'm one of those people. :P

2. Ick.... I've known several dogs that were on Science Diet, all of them were over-weight and very gassy. And most had an abnormal amount of plaque on their teeth. I wouldn't recommend it.

The owners meant well, tried to do right by there dogs, but... they were simply steered in the wrong direction by their veterinarians.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:44:22 AM »
The only time I've advocated for Science Diet is when they have specially formulated diets (I.e. for kidney issues) and the owner refuses to switch to a raw or more expensive food. Which... Science Diet is fairly pricey, there are better foods for the same price. When I say highly recommended, I mean that it's the food most vets carry. But I would definitely go to something grain free, especially if the dog has a sensitive stomach.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 05:08:46 AM »
Just a suggestion:  Lots of mammals with "the poops" do well with "probiotic" (the good bacteria, like in yogurt) which they make both expensively for pets and also for people.

People get poops, too!

It's usually a longer-term thing and I'm not sure which combination of active cultures are best for dogs, so it'd be good to ask.  Sometimes buying the human kind and giving just a little bit over the food works best because they are usually refrigerated and preserve the effectiveness.  BUT for a dog I wouldn't know which combo to give or about how much.

BTW, any good "health food store/natural pharmacy" should have decent effective brands, but now most pharmacies are also carrying them, over the counter, but you have to ask for them as they are best kept refrigerated.

Best of luck!

- Raaz.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »
Just a suggestion:  Lots of mammals with "the poops" do well with "probiotic" (the good bacteria, like in yogurt) which they make both expensively for pets and also for people.

People get poops, too!

It's usually a longer-term thing and I'm not sure which combination of active cultures are best for dogs, so it'd be good to ask.  Sometimes buying the human kind and giving just a little bit over the food works best because they are usually refrigerated and preserve the effectiveness.  BUT for a dog I wouldn't know which combo to give or about how much.

BTW, any good "health food store/natural pharmacy" should have decent effective brands, but now most pharmacies are also carrying them, over the counter, but you have to ask for them as they are best kept refrigerated.

Best of luck!

- Raaz.

On this note, you can purchase a tube of probiotic paste from your vet that may help. When I took my mutt in to get UTD on her yearly shots I mentioned some of her tummy troubles and was given.. *runs to get tube* 'Probiocin'. I think it was around 15 dollars for two 15 gram tubes. Within two days of the paste my mutt had much more solid stool and was feeling less queasy.

You shouldn't have to bring your dog in, as Probiocin wont do anything to a dog that doesn't need it. The only thing they'll need to know is your dogs weight for dosing.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »
Yeah, (species switch), some people need to take the probiotic cultures regularly, some not so much regularly.  I probably don't even really need it except when things get wonky, but will take some now and then just to be sure.

I kept getting sick (like other kinds of sick) this last year, and a healthy gut is the biggest immune defense, so I figured keeping everything else in order down there was a good idea!   So I'd still take some once in a while.

Offline cagedbirdsinging

• Rat Snacks 'N Stuff Owner
    • Rat Snacks 'N Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
Just a note... ToTW was a voluntary recall based on the other contaminated Diamond foods. All ToTW batches were tested and none were contaminated, but they chose to do a recall anyway for the peace of mind of their customers.

I think ToTW is a very good option for those that don't/can't feed raw.

Offline meetimarco

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
I know this is a little old. but thought id add this since I am experiencing the same thing. I feed Chicken Soup which is also made by Diamond foods and was worried my dog was being fed contaminated food when he started having horrible diarrhea. Checked the bag and it was a good bag. After a week of the diarrhea not clearing up on its own, added 1 tbs of canned pumpkin to his food (2 tbs a day) and after 2 days his stool is nearly back to normal. Just an option for those who have the occasional issues.

If you go this route, make sure it's canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix. If you aren't sure, check the ingredients. The ONLY ingredient should be pumpkin.

I've heard it also works for constipation too. But have never had that problem.
...emily @ the Community Gathering

Flickr