Author Topic: shock collar led to infected wounds  (Read 19119 times)

Offline chrispity

• My daughter & I w/Hazel, Poppy,Evelyn & Pasha
shock collar led to infected wounds
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
I am watching two dogs for the week, one of whom wears a shock collar.  I, myself wouldn't do this to my own three dogs, but to each their own I suppose.  Anyway, this morning when Boone (a beautiful red coonhound) came over to say good morning to me I noticed that his neck was wet.  I immediately took off the collar and saw the two gaping holes from the prongs.  I took him to my vet, where he was given an exam, a steroid shot for the swelling and put on Cephlexaxin for the infection.  I am also washing the area with hydrogen peroxide three times a day.  Mike is picking his dogs up tomorrow and I want to talk to him about how long he leaves the shock collar on Boone and how tight it is.  I literally have the smallest fingers of anyone I have ever known and I could barely fit a finger under the collar.  Does anyone know how long you can safely leave a shock collar on for?  Any suggestions?
Chris
Proud Mom to Kailey (lab/whippet), Adeline (lab/shiba inu) and Bentley (chihuahua/Jack Russel)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Re: shock collar led to infected wounds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
I'd stop the hydrogen peroxide.  It's great at cleaning out infection, but it slows healing because it damages the new skin not allowing wounds to close and heal.

I won't comment on the shock collar because it's not you doing it and I have nothing nice to say about "teaching" a dog by electrocution.  However, the rule of thumb is generally 2-3 fingers.

Offline chrispity

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »
I hear you - I feel the same way about the e-collar.  I haven't used it all during the entire time he's been here.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
Poor thing, I'm super against them myself too.
I'd have just thrown it out and bought him a normal collar personally, even though I know it's not your dog.
make sure he keeps a close eye on it, wounds like that can get pretty bad if not cared for properly and tell him for god sakes not to continue using it until it's at least healed.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline chrispity

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
I know right!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »
Personally, I couldn't be friends with someone who abuses their pets. I realize it wasn't likely intentional, but leading to an infection like that... It was neglected. Your friend should try wearing the shock collar for awhile.

2-3 fingers, and shock collars aren't even meant to be worn constantly. They are meant to be used WHILE training, just as any training collar is. Though most people consider them barbaric nowadays.

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
I'd never heard of a shock collar until now- wow, just wow.
I can't believe someone invented them!
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline chrispity

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
He's not my friend, I just work for him occasionally.

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
I just want to say thank you for getting the dog vet care.  Obviously you care a lot more for this guys dogs than he does.  This is just sickening I personally would have a hard time not throwing that collar away.  Tell him the vet kept it when you took his dog in for care.   >:(

Offline MomOfJixi

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life is better with love and laughter
    • Canine Training
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
I am not a major user for shock collars but I know that in a few (very few) instances, they are useful (My parents had to use one on their bloodhound for a while when they went out into the pasture because she would somehow open the gate [only when they are out there oddly enough] and run the horses and without the shock collar, they had no way to correct her before she seriously injured the horses or got kicked and seriously injured herself) but you never leave one on after you are done with training. The dogs are not supposed to be unsupervised while wearing them.
"Love is a rhythm, free the music inside" -me

Mom to: 4 doggie kids, 10 rattie kids, and one gorgeous human girl

Offline chrispity

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »
I'm going to ask if I can keep him until his medicine is gone so that way I know he's being treated medically.  That way I get to keep him for two more weeks.  I think this guy would let me keep the dog if I wanted to and we are seriously considering it.  The only problem is we have two cats.  My dogs are fine with the cats but Boone chases them and views them as prey.  Right now they are living in the bathroom, which is no life for them.  Any suggestions?

Chris

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:12:42 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is gradual introductions. Hold onto Boone while in the room with the cats, and have someone else petting them or something. To show that they are pets not food? I've never had that problem...

Kudos to your for taking care of the big puppy though,  :heart:

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 03:43:04 AM »
It depends on how he goes after them. Is it aggressive? Or is he going after them for the fun of the chase? Mu little girl (Smaller than the cats, though) used to chase them because they ran. After a few times, the cat turned and smacked and she learned.

If he's aggressive with them, I suggest slow intros and a lot of positive reinforcement when he leaves them alone, ignores them, etc.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
It depends on how he goes after them. Is it aggressive? Or is he going after them for the fun of the chase? Mu little girl (Smaller than the cats, though) used to chase them because they ran. After a few times, the cat turned and smacked and she learned.

If he's aggressive with them, I suggest slow intros and a lot of positive reinforcement when he leaves them alone, ignores them, etc.

I am NOT a smart dog person, but indeed a quick (you pick the way you do it...might be a specific verbal term/voice or even a clicker thing?) followed by a treat? 

As everyone already said, before, not so much on the hydrogen peroxide...good for initital wound cleansing, but you can buy BIG bottles of a plain saline solution at most any pharmacy (sometimes have to ask for it) and do a good washing.

Sounds like a gorgeous dog, though!  I've known a couple of them!

;D - Raaz.

Offline chrispity

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Well, he wouldn't let me keep Boone while he stayed on his medication  :'(  I tried though.  We sure are going to miss him around here.  He said he could smell his wound which is bull - it was his breath he could smell as I've been cleaning the wound with water and saline  (I stopped the hydrogen peroxide).  When he picked him he said "I guess I shouldn't put his collar back on"  YA THINK???  My word.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »
I hate when people are so unconcerned and neglectful of their pets. >:(
Would he be able to update you with his dogs progress? who knows what he'll do if it doesn't improve.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline chrispity

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
I will definitely call him for progress reports.  I have a key to his house so I can always just go over there on my own to check on Boone too!!!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
Well, at least you got the dog off to a good start...and maybe the owner, too!   ;D - Raaz.

Offline Egween

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:29:43 AM »
"Shock" or e-collars are meant to be worn tightly. Much tighter than a normal collar. The rule for e-collars is 1 finger, not 2 like flat collars (but not choking the dog!). This is because if the prongs don't make a good connection with the skin, they can burn the skin. The prongs also MUST be moved every 2-3 hours or they will cause damage. It sounds like your coworker had the collar on the dog constantly without ever repositioning it. This is unacceptable, and if you notice that it is still going on, call animal control!