I am watching two dogs for the week, one of whom wears a shock collar. I, myself wouldn't do this to my own three dogs, but to each their own I suppose. Anyway, this morning when Boone (a beautiful red coonhound) came over to say good morning to me I noticed that his neck was wet. I immediately took off the collar and saw the two gaping holes from the prongs. I took him to my vet, where he was given an exam, a steroid shot for the swelling and put on Cephlexaxin for the infection. I am also washing the area with hydrogen peroxide three times a day. Mike is picking his dogs up tomorrow and I want to talk to him about how long he leaves the shock collar on Boone and how tight it is. I literally have the smallest fingers of anyone I have ever known and I could barely fit a finger under the collar. Does anyone know how long you can safely leave a shock collar on for? Any suggestions?
Proud Mom to Kailey (lab/whippet), Adeline (lab/shiba inu) and Bentley (chihuahua/Jack Russel)