Author Topic: Mystery lump on dog's rear  (Read 1688 times)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
Mystery lump on dog's rear
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:02 PM »
Last weekend, I noticed a grape-sized lump on Ginny's rear, just below the skin.  Too low to be an anal gland issue.  So I took her to the weekend vet today.  He aspirated that lump and a second one on the other side that was more mushy feeling.  The mushy lump was a lipoma.  The other one was "not a lipoma" and he says the only way to get a definitive diagnosis is to have it removed and send it to pathology.  He wouldn't offer a guess or likely scenario - just that when he sees round cells clumped together all he knows is they don't belong.  This lump also bled quite a bit at the needle site.  I've never seen this vet before, so I have no idea if he's being honest or just doesn't want to suggest anything even if he has a gut idea what's going on.

The good news he offered is that there is no sign that it's in the lymph glands immediately around it.  For better or worse, they are about a month out on scheduling any sort of surgery, so the earliest date he had was August 15th.  Without knowing what it is, I guess there's no way to know how urgent it is to get it removed.

Complicating things is the fact that we have 2 vacations planned in the next 6 weeks.  One is at the end of July and Ginny is going with us.  I really wouldn't want to do the surgery before that unless it really needs to happen that fast because I don't want her still healing or to have stitches or incisions while we are on vacation.  Then we kind of have the same issue with the August 15 date -- we are leaving a few days later and a pet sitter will be coming in each day to take care of the critters.  I really don't want to leave Ginny while she's still healing.  But it's hard to not be paranoid that delaying for several weeks could make things worse?

The other thing he brought up was that although the lipoma probably doesn't NEED to be removed, if she's already under anesthesia he might as well remove it.  But that would mean 2 separate incisions - one on each leg/hock.  The lipoma is also deeper and kinda feels like it's more in the muscle and soft tissue.  Vet thought it could be the lymph node at first.  So I need to decide if there's really any benefit to having it removed other than just removing the possibility that it's going to grow and get worse.  It sure seems that having incisions on both sides of her butt would have to be pretty uncomfortable for her.

So the things up for question are
1.  Is it okay to wait 5-6 weeks to have the blob removed?
2.  Should we removed the lipoma at the same time?
3.  Should we get a second opinion from the vet we have been using for a lot of years?

Of course, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask any of this when we were in the office.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline Rattiemama

• Posts Too Much!
  • ^^ Cheezy grin! ^^
Re: Mystery lump on dog's rear
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
I would definitely get the second opinion from your more trusted vet. It can't hurt and they might have more experience with similar issues and be able to advise you better on the other two points.

How quickly did the lumps appear and how fast do they seem to be growing. If it's slow moving, an extra week or two probably wouldn't make a difference, but if it's something really invasive, the sooner the better. Hopefully that second opinion will give you a better idea. Unless the pet-sitter is staying in your house and is someone you trust, I wouldn't want to have her operated on just before I left.

As for the lipoma, ask the other vet about it too. Personally, if it looks like they'd have to cut into a lot of muscle to get it, I would say leave it, but if it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to get out, you might as well have it removed. They can sometimes get large and end up throwing things out of whack, and even if it would be a bit more difficult a recovery, at least it would only be one recovery. Just my two cents, but definitely ask the other vet!

Good luck. I hope it ends up being easily taken care of.

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:57:01 AM »
If my dog were already down for surgery, I'd have both lumps removed. Lipomas are not dangerous, but if they grow too large they can get in the way, cause issues, etc. And I'd rather not do two separate surgeries.   

How large is the lump they're removing (the non lipoma)?  Most small mass removals do not cause dogs much discomfort, in my experience.
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:40 AM »
It feels like grape size - maybe about 1.5 cm .  It's round-ish and firm, so hopefully it's all right under the skin and just the lump we can feel.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett