Author Topic: Feral Kitty... half his tail cut off....  (Read 8416 times)

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
Re: Feral Kitty... half his tail cut off....
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
He loves his new kitty tree  :heart:

I am currently in the process of trying to TNR 7 more cats here. 3 adults and 4 young (8 weeks old, maybe) kittens. The kittens are (hopefully) going to be worked with and if young enough to learn to trust humans, they may be able to find homes. I already have a foster home lined up for the 4 kittens to stay at until they can be S/N and have their rabies shots (4 months old) and the foster home is great with working with more difficult animals, either from abusive situations or those with very little prior human interaction. If that doesn't work out though, they will be placed with wonderful people who will keep them as outdoor/feral barn cats who will be fed, vaccinated, and cared for.
The adults will be S/N, vaccinated, and released back here so that we can have a stable and hopefully not expanding feral population. They are ALL orange tabby cats like my Sullivan, the 4 little kittens are freaking adorable, I am pretty sure it is THREE females and 1 little long haired fuzz ball male.... that is why it is very important that I get them trapped... with 3 more females, I can only image the horrible population boom we would see in the coming months. Cross your fingers that I can get them all trapped.

& 17 Hermit Crabs + 3 Crazy Kitties: Jack, Sullivan, & Bennett  <3

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
He looks quite smug in his new tree!  :)

Good luck on trapping the rest of the colony!

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »

It's taken me awhile to get these kittens... They disappeared all last week, but I finally saw them again yesterday and was able to trap 2. I got one more today and hopefully will get the 4th kitten and the mom tomorrow. Then I can work on the adult males. The 3 kittens are currently residing in my empty DFN. They are doing ok, the little long haired one is just the cutest thing. I will be glad when I get kitten #4 and can get them to their foster home! Even as feral as they are they are not freaking out, 1 hisses when I walk in the room but the other 2 ignore me. They figured out the litter boxes immediately! Cats are so smart! I am sure they are scared to death but they have to be enjoying the heated house and all the food and water they want... not having to hide from dogs, cars, people and other random threats and a nice cozy bed full of towels and fleece!

Kittens #1 and #3

Kitten #2 decided he/she likes to hang out in the cat carrier that I put in the cage (for a hiding place) and it even pulled some fleece in there.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »
I love little red cats.  :heart:

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
I love little red cats.  :heart:

Especially uber fuzzy ones.  :)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 12:58:44 AM »
They look like there is some purebred American Shorthair in their big round eyes and broad cheekbones with sturdy boning. And the little boy looks like he has some Maine Cook in him. They are so beautiful including the rear end showing the surgical tail Bob.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Well, I caught kitten #4 and mom cat yesterday. Mom cat was dropped off at the vet this morning for her spay, rabies vaccination and ear tip. I'm picking her up either tomorrow or Friday, depending on when they do her spay because they hold them for at least 24 hours before releasing them (to make sure she is healing fine, because I will be releasing her back outside when she gets home, or maybe a day later.) Kitten #4 is a little feisty thing.

The kittens are insane. Seriously. They told me today that I could split a tube of revolution between the 4 of them so I figured I could handle that... well... I got on a heavy sweatshirt, gloves, and jeans and went to take out a kitten.... kitten went NUTS, clawed the crap out of my hands and arms, through the fabric, and was meowing like I was trying to kill it. So I put it back, and decided I would try to use a small towel to take out the tamest of the group... who jumped out of my arms immediately, went to the top of the DNF, FLEW off it onto the carpet (yes, i swear, it can fly) and ran around the room for 15 minutes before it jumped on my chest and I was able to get it back in the cage..... this is going to be interesting. I am going to see if the vet can get me something to calm them a bit so I can at least check their sexes and get them revolution and check for any injuries. I can tell they have ear mites and I am sure they have fleas and worms. 

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Bless you for all that you do for "the least of these". Hearing of the little kitten shredding you reminded me of a short animated feature,
"the cat came back." Definitely macabre, it depicts a totally destructive terror of a cat and the owner's efforts to do it in. The chorus of the song in minor key goes something like,
But the cat came back
the very next day
the cat came back
He thought he was a goner
but the cat came back
he just wouldn't stay away.
Sometimes on this site people post glowing reviews of how their recently captured "feral" kitty is warming up so fast. My experiences with these poor neglected ones is much more like yours so I found your post a tad bit reassuring, although I am truly sorry you got scratched for your trouble.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
I started a new thread for kitten progress and pictures!

http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4099216.0