Author Topic: adopting another puppy  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
adopting another puppy
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »
So as of August 11th we are adopting a Newfoundland lab mix puppy from northwest hills k9 rescue. He's coming up from Mississippi and if his vet check goes good the morning of the 11th, we will be picking him up after. My question is; I don't know how big he will get. He is only 7 weeks old right now so you can't really tell from his picture. But anyway I was told to not feed him puppy food because it causes growth spurts and if he is gonna be big I don't want his bones growing to fast. Is this true? I was told to start him on the taste of the wild I have and ween him of what he is on, Which I don't even know what it is. Any help would be appreciated, and here's a pic of the little guy we are naming guinness.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
Re: adopting another puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
I have no clue about puppy stuff, except maybe check the feet size. They tend to grow into their big floppy feet.
He's GORGEOUS.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »
from the looks of him, He's going to be LARGE. Probably a good 80-100lbs depending on how big his parents are.. I agree, he is beautiful!
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
He is probably going to be big that's why I asked the food question, my friend just told me to feed him blue buffalo lamb puppy formula because it has low protein and calcium so his bones don't grow too fast. Does that sound right?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »
Yeah, sounds about right. He will probably grow to be quite large and it is preferred that large breed dogs be fed a certain amount of calcium, too much or too little can be harmful. Also, I have a Lab/Great Pyrenees mix laying next to me, she is 8 months old and around 65+ pounds right now, still plenty of skin hanging off her too.

Links: http://www.lgd.org/library/Optimal%20feeding%20of%20large%20breed%20puppies.pdf
http://www.skeptvet.com/index.php?p=1_24_Large-Breed-Puppy-Food
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »
It's not really a probably, it's a definitely. Newfoundland are huge dogs. At the parlour I groomed at, we had a guy who brought the Newfies from his breed specific rescue in. Even the smallest ones were HUGE. I'd say they were all between 120-180 pounds.

Taste of the Wild is a GREAT food. I know maaaany people who use it, and it's an all stages of life kibble.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:28:49 AM »
I know not a thing about your question (sorry!) but I can see why you fell for him!  Just get some GOOD obedience training!  Dogs that big can totally pull you right across the street if they want to!  Good luck, he's very, very handsome!

;D -Raaz.

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Turns out puppy and his siblings have coccidia so he won't be coming up till August 25th so please keep your thoughts and prayers with them all. :-[

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
Oh god I'm sorry. ): Sending good vibes your way
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
Poor little pups,hopefully it's minor and they'll all pull through. My fingers are crossed.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy