Author Topic: Benton  (Read 751 times)

Offline Pamnangel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Stand for something or you stand for nothing!
    • Pam's Petsitting
Benton
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »
I usually post about my rats, but today I wanted to tell everyone about Benton. About a week ago I got an email about animals in local shelters that need a rescue to pull them because they're not considered adoptable for various reasons. I get these emails often, but usually don't read them because they're usually larger dogs and I'm not really in a position to help them. This time 'Senior Chi' in the title caught my attention and I checked it out. That's when I met Benton.
His listing stated he was a 12 yr old blind chihuahua mix, has cataracts, is underweight and possibly had diabetes. Tests have since confirmed the diabetes and also shows he has hypothyroidism and regenerative anemia. He weighs in at 14#. Personally, I think he may be more Rat Terrier than Chihuahua.
The more I looked at his photo, the more I worried about this guy. I started pestering the shelter about doing a special adoption and listed my qualifications (I m a petsitter specializing in geriatric & special needs animals, a number of my clients are diabetic, and I've got 3 generations of diabetics in my mothers family), but the shelters director kept dragging his feet. Finally, woman with a volunteer group that helps at the shelter contacted me. The director didn't want to do a special adoption citing the expense of getting Benton's diabetes under control. Unless a rescue stepped up, Benton was going down and no rescue had expressed any interest in him. The woman happened to know people with a group called Scooter's Pals. If I wanted to take on the challenge and would sign a release of liability, Scooter's Pals would pull Benton and give him to me.
I can do some of the testing at home, so that will help keep costs down. I can get insulin at Walmart for $25/bottle, which will last a while for a small dog. Insulin syringes are cheap, as is hyperthyroid medication. The anemia is probably a result of the hyperthyroidism and should resolve easily. The cataracts are operable. It's expensive, but there are grants to help pay for that.
So far I've been doing a lot of research to make my k9 diabetes information is up to date. I've discussed Benton's case with my vet and a chihuahua forum. I joined an online diabetic pet group, ordered a medical alert tag, bought a new pet glucose meter and cooked 5# of chicken thighs so I can start Benton on a low carb, low fat diet. Did I miss anything?
There will be fundraisers to help pay for some of Benton's care. As my vet said, Benton's not going to be a cheap date. I make homemade soap, which I will be posting on etsy soon. I'm already working on ideas for a line of Benton's pet soaps. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. Oh, if anyone wants to be a Benton Buddy I'm going to set him up with his own Twitter account.

Pam
Pam's Petsitting
AuntiePamsPantry/Etsy
ElderRat Care Center
Roseville, CA

Offline Pamnangel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Stand for something or you stand for nothing!
    • Pam's Petsitting
Re: Benton
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
Bad news. Just learned of some requirements by Scooter's Pals that I'm not currently in a position to meet.
Good news. I also learned another rescue did express interest in taking Benton after Scooter's Pals and I talked.
Pam
Pam's Petsitting
AuntiePamsPantry/Etsy
ElderRat Care Center
Roseville, CA