Author Topic: Hip dysplasia  (Read 764 times)

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
Hip dysplasia
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
I've got a lab that has hip dysplasia. It didn't bother her so much when she was younger, but she's going to be 5 now and she's been having more issues. I personally think it's related to jumping up on my parents bed all the time, so I'm going to have someone build her a ramp or look into buying one.
I also give her fish oil daily, and aspirin if she's limping.

I was just wondering what special things you guys do for dogs with hip dysplasia. My mom is considering switching her food to Hollistic Select because she read something about it being better for hip dysplasia? Has anyone heard this? (She's currently on TOTW). Thanks.
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: Hip dysplasia
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »
To help your dogs joints you could give her a Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement. It has worked wonders for my old arthritic gelding (castrated horse), after a month of getting a daily supplement he went from creaky and uncomfortable to wanting to run around like a 3 year old.

As for Holistic Select being better than TOTW for hip dysplasia, I don't know. I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but it's possible depending on the ingredients that it could have something in it that could prove beneficial to a dog with hip dysplasia.

Good luck with your girl, hopefully others with more experience will chime in soon with more information.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy