Author Topic: Dog harness vest?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
Dog harness vest?
« on: August 04, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
Our dog is going in for knee surgery at the end of the month. she has partial tears in both her ACL's as well as some pretty advanced arthritis going on in both rear knees. I'm looking for one of those dog harness vests with a handle on it so I can help support her weight if need be before she goes in for surgery and after when she's recuperating. Sometimes now she's having trouble going down the stairs and it would be nice to help her out so she doesn't do more damage before surgery.

I've seen these harnesses before made specifically for this purpose but I am just failing miserably at searching for them. I keep getting either swimming vests, or vests for helper dogs, or vests for wee little dogs to be walked or seatbelted into the car. She's about 55 lbs, so not so small but not huge either. I can pick her up and carry her if I need to, no problem, but she finds it somewhat humiliating and there's no way my Mom will be able to do that if she finds herself stuck with the gimpy dog while I'm at work or something. We are also willing to make one ourselves if there is a good pattern out there someplace. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak, this stuff is out there and I'm not finding it. Anyhow...help? Thanks all!
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline Sidders

Re: Dog harness vest?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »
I found a few. Searching for 'dog mobility harness' seems to bring up a few hits.

Number 1
Number 2
Number 3

Hope that helps! Good luck to your doggy! :)

Offline ~Stacey~

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
Mobility vest  :doh: of course!  The english words just wouldn't come out earlier. Thank you very much!  I'll look into that clearance one. Hopefully they ship to Canada, that's frequently the problem ordering online *fingers crossed* Thanks again, you guys rock!
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
I absolutely love our Help Em Up Harness! (www.helpemup.com)

We've been using it on and off for about a year now with my elderly Basset hound.  His old man hips have been going and almost a year ago his legs splayed when he went to pee and he lost use of them for over a month.  This harness was the only reason we made it through.  We had him fitted at a local dog physical therapist that actually gave input on its design.  She said the only thing she disagrees with is that they added a metal piece to the underside of the male harness to keep it back far enough.  She recommends getting the female/conventional version if it's at all possible.  My boy is 40 lbs and fits nicely in the conventional medium size.

Good luck with the surgery!
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko