Author Topic: Wanted: Pygmy Mice in Texas!  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
Wanted: Pygmy Mice in Texas!
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:36:13 AM »
Hey all.

A few months ago someone brought me a male African Pygmy mouse. He came from a horrible pet shop here in Houston called S&S Exotics where overcrowded conditions led to him having his tail chewed off and his ear tattered by his cagemates.

I am desperately seeking a cagemate for him. Pygmies are tiny and super fast and nearly impossible to handle, which makes it very important to provide them with a buddy and plenty of stuff to do.

I have checked with all the rescues I know, most of the pet stores in Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, etc. I wouldn't even mind purchasing one since they are so rare in the pet trade now that even pet shops are having a hard time getting a hold of them.

If someone in Texas knows where I can get one (or more), PLEASE let me know. I can arrange transportation to get one to me as far away as Oklahoma, Louisiana, etc.

I am looking for males, but I would be willing to provide a home for females too (in a separate enclosure of course) if there is a group that needs a home.

My Mandrake currently lives in a fairly lavish 10 gallon setup, but depending on how many buddies I can find for him I can easily upgrade to a 20 gallon or even a 40 gallon.

Some pics:

Please contact me via PM or email: houstonratrescue @ comcast . net (remove spaces)

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
Re: Wanted: Pygmy Mice in Texas!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
i've actually been looking for pygmies as well (in maryland or surrounding areas).  The sad part, you can find them once in a while at reptile shows for sale as feeders.... so if you're not TOO fussy where they come from or what horrible conditions they're coming from in, check out reptile shows and look for feeders...  The downside of course, you're going to be very sad.... especially when that rat baby starts grooming your fingertips and someone immediately buys it as a feeder... (happened to me.............)

Offline Drache

• The Crittery
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »
I found someone in San Diego who has some available and was willing to ship to me. A friend of mine works for an airlines and can go get them for me for about $40 total. But then he cancelled on me and I don't know if we are going to be able to reschedule.

I'll have to check out one of the next reptile shows.

PM me if you need help joining!

Offline Girliness

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »
I am sure your little Pygmy mouse has "crossed the rainbow bridge" by now, but I thought I should post here that I got a breeding pair of the little things a few weeks ago.  I'm only letting you know this because it's obvious you wanted them as pets - I am in Houston.