Author Topic: Custom Rat Cages  (Read 878 times)

Offline 4theluvofratz

Custom Rat Cages
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
Hi, I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on custom rat cages. Like the bookshelf cages? I have a critter nation but it doesn't want to fit in my room so I was thinking that building a cage that fit would work.

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Custom Rat Cages
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
I don't like book shelf cages.  They're often quite small, and the ventilation isn't great.  They're also easier to chew, and harder to clean then 'normal' cages.  For the money you'd spend making them perfect you could buy a new purpose built cage that would fit the space you have.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline Trihkal

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
I too am not a fan of bookshelf cages for the same reasons. There are many different cages on the market maybe you could find one that is more appropriate for your room?
The Ratties I Have Known And Loved

Offline Egween

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »
There are some people on here who have made their own bookshelf cages and they look great! I believe they did a ton of research and of course it took a while, but if you do it right, not only will you have one that will fit in the space you want, but you can make it look however you want with the stain/paint on the outside. If you have any friends who are not fans of rats, it would be fun to freak them out by asking them to grab a book from your "bookshelf". But that's a bit off-topic!
If I didn't love my FN so much, I may look into making a bookshelf cage if I could find one deep enough that would work. I think it would feel great to be able to say, "I made this." But I do believe there is a lot of work and research involved to make sure it's safe for ratties.