Author Topic: Nail issues...  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Nail issues...
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
My almost 3 year old boxer has yet another broken nail. This time on his left back leg. This is the second broken nail in about a month, and his fourth or fifth broken nail over the course of his life. He's also broken both of his bottom canines in his mouth (that time chewing on a crate, while at petco after a grooming.. that's a whole other story)..

It doesn't seem normal that he's breaking his nails like this..

I saw the one break today and all he was doing was running across our yard.. There aren't any bigger rocks,  and I didn't notice any bigger sticks laying around.. IT almost seemed like he stepped wrong and the nail just snapped. The weird thing about it was that it didn't bleed. It was broken to the quick, oozy, and red, but no blood.

There wasn't any blood the first time he broke his nail either... just a snap and a yelp.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: Nail issues...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
There are some autoimmune diseases that effect the nails. Might be worth mentioning at the vet next time you are in.

About the broken teeth- have you had them checked by a vet? They need to be treated to avoid chronic pain and possible abscess.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:40:48 AM »
Are his nails long? How often do you cut them? Are the nails breaking inside the nail bed or snapping in the middle of the nail?

When his feet touch the ground, his nails shouldn't also touch the ground. If they do, the liklihood of them getting caught on things is a lot greater.

My girls ripped out one of her dew claws once, we didn't get a gush of blood either, but we had to keep it wrapped to keep her compulsive licking at bay.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:15:40 AM »
His nails are cut roughly every two weeks or so..they were cut last weekend, so a week a go.  They arent overly long and dont hit the ground when hes standing.. they seem to be breaking just above the nail bed.. occasionally splitting the nail in half....

His teeth were checked out by the vet..they arent broken to badly and he hasnt had any major issues with them.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.