Author Topic: New cage. toys and shelf liner help?  (Read 4104 times)

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

New cage. toys and shelf liner help?
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
This is my cage so far. anyone have any diy shelf liners and toy ideas?

-Amber

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: New cage. toys and shelf liner help?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
For the shelves, you can find some fabric (Old t-shirts, old blankets, fleece, flannel, etc.) and just lay the shelf over it and cut out a shelf shaped piece of cloth (With about an extra inch on each side), then binder clip them to the undersides. Honestly, I make and sell hammocks and am still too lazy to make myself proper shelf liners, so this is what I do.

You can use the same method to make hammocks. Or no-sew hammocks if you don't have a sewing machine: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm

We're avid fans of toilet paper rolls, empty cardboard food boxes, things like cat balls and wiffle balls, stringing up popsicle sticks and wooden beads for chews as well as fleece braided ropes for climbing. The dollar store has tons of useable things for toys and hanging hideys like baskets and bowls, chew fleece hats and blankets, grapevine wreaths, etc.

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
For the shelves, you can find some fabric (Old t-shirts, old blankets, fleece, flannel, etc.) and just lay the shelf over it and cut out a shelf shaped piece of cloth (With about an extra inch on each side), then binder clip them to the undersides. Honestly, I make and sell hammocks and am still too lazy to make myself proper shelf liners, so this is what I do.

You can use the same method to make hammocks. Or no-sew hammocks if you don't have a sewing machine: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm

We're avid fans of toilet paper rolls, empty cardboard food boxes, things like cat balls and wiffle balls, stringing up popsicle sticks and wooden beads for chews as well as fleece braided ropes for climbing. The dollar store has tons of useable things for toys and hanging hideys like baskets and bowls, chew fleece hats and blankets, grapevine wreaths, etc.

Wow thanks for all the ideas!! I was planning on doing like what you said for the shelf liners but didnt think of making the slits in it :) Very nice looking! And the no sew thing would be perfect because I dont have a sewing machine. The hammock i have towards the bottom of the cage I hand sewed(and isnt too pretty I may add lol) Ill save some toilet paper rolls and check out the dollar store :D
-Amber

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:56:37 AM »
I've always made boxes (Little houses and various snuggle huts) from carboard and masking tape (fine as long as they don't eat it and best to use ones that aren't from food products...possible roach eggs), and often line them with cheap fleece.  Kind of nice, because ten minutes making it, and one can throw it out.  I actually also anchored them to the side, up higher with those...gosh...what are they called (in the electrical section of a hardware store) plastic zip strap thingies.  If you have chewers who eat it, not a good idea, but otherwise, super!

Many of my rat's favorite place was a PVC pipe (short piece or elbow) for about 4 bucks at most at any big hardware store.  (Big enough to turn around in is what I got).  Hanging it was complicated, and I used that weird dog-tag chain type stuff, just found a way to hook it through the side.  PVC is not good to eat, so again, if chewers who eat it...nope.  Only complication is it's easier to find bulk chain at smaller hardware store and easier to find good PVC piping at big hardward/home stores!  (They do last forever and are easy to clean, though).

Good luck!

- Raaz.

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »
Honestly, I make and sell hammocks and am still too lazy to make myself proper shelf liners, so this is what I do.

Me too  :laughing7:

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
I think were getting somewhere lol. thanks so much for the ideas!! Still have a few more things to make and add, but I lve how its looking! My poor girls dont know what to think
-Amber

Offline ArielleZTB

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »
Your cage is looking really good! I am using that exact same cage to house my two boys. I don't think it gets enough recognition. My only complaint is the size of the doors and sometimes when you take it off the base the sides are hard to snap back into place.

Anyway, Rattiesix pretty much covered everything I was going to say. You could also try this link http://www.squidoo.com/homemade-rat-cages-and-toys I got tons of ideas off there.
I also like to make no sew cushions for my boys to chew, play, and sleep on. I just cut two pieces of fleece into a circle, do the whole "tie thing" all the way around until I only have like a fourth left then I stuff a bunch of scrap pieces of fleece in there, then tie up the rest. It looks super cute! I'm actually working on stuff for a new cage I'm getting so I'm not sure how the rats will love them (I'm sure they will!)

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 01:59:31 AM »
I'd add in a wheel too. Girls typically love wheels. Just make sure it's at least 11''.
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
I'd add in a wheel too. Girls typically love wheels. Just make sure it's at least 11''.

Yeah I need to pick one of those up. wheres the best place to get one and which wheel is the best to get? I use to have the silent spinners when I had dwarf hamsters, would those be okay or is there something better?
-Amber

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
Yep, silent spinners are a good wheel choice. I know lots of people here vote for wodent wheels but i found 12" silent spinners at a local pet store for about $20 so i went with that. no complaints and it is really quiet. with that cage though, you could probably put the two higher shelves together making a bigger level since the wheel does take up a bit of room. I haven't tried fitting my wheel into that cage before (i have the same cage) but it might be better hooking it on higher up since the base slopes down inward instead of being flat, you know? it was. Easy enough to secure to the cage without the stand so i have yet to use that. it'd take a good chunk of floor space too.

Also, i found the ramps a little unnecessary with the right set-up. they take up a lot of room and my guys just climbed the side of the cage instead. dollar stores (especially dollar tree) and target's dollar. section are your best friends. they have oodles of stackable storage baskets. And whatnot that are perfect rattie Size to add more floor space. I just. Poke holes in the edges with a hot paper. Clip. And. Hook them up with either more aper clips or pipe cleaners since zipties get destroyed. half filled tissue. Boxes are also a huge hit. Old phone books make for excellent nesting material. oh, and im not sure if you're close to a petco or if its just this store that has it but recently my local petco put in a super. Discount section by the cash registers. like, old or opened inventory they're trying to get rid of. i found some different kinds of chew toys, (a little burger, mp3/cell phone, chew sticks, a bamboo bird toy) a bag of shredded paper and coconut husk for nesting, and a couple of "play 'n perch" bird things (a wood perch with. bIts of loofa on it for chewing. it actually supports my big boys weight.) all for about $5. whenever. I'm. In the neighborhood, I like popping in to check. That section out (and say hi. To the baby ratties) my crew especially loves. The perches for both perching and. Playing,  lol. And I do love a good bargain. I got the last one for only .30 cents!

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »
Any wheel is fine really. I wouldn't go with the plastic comfort wheel by super pet. My girlfriend had that and her rats chewed it up so it couldn't spin. I just use the large 11'' mesh superpet one, but with that you have to hang it off the side (it moves around too much just being left on the bottom and the way it's curved can cause a tail to get caught if it's not hanging).
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
I'm a wodent wheel girl  :cheeky:  Mainely Rat Rescue sells them for a decent price, plus you get to support a escue :)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
The bird section of petstores (even if sometimes expensive) can be great, too.  They have those bendable cord thingies (sorry, what do we call them?!) that can be anchored from one side to the other of the cage and bent to fit.  Not the best for older ratties but young ones may really like them.

And, if you're on a budget (as it seems I've always been), and not too worried about how perfectly color coordinated it looks...honestly, some of my rat's favorite things were found going to thrift shops, getting old sweatshirts, cutting off a sleeve (or part of one).  Then using it for a "tube" kind of hammock.  (I don't think the ratties mind the color coordination...as long as it's a super place to snuggle!)

If you are handy and have the time, you can use nylon straps and some kind of cheap clippy things to anchor them.  If not, and you're too busy like me (!) the "dogtag chain" stuff with holes poked in the fabric works super.  (Unless for some reason they actually want to chew it...never has happened to me).  All but the sweatshirts are usually available in bulk (get what you need by the foot and individual item) from smaller hardware stores.  (Like Ace).

BTW, not all rats chew zipties.  You could also try 'em out.  Cheap if they work!

Best,

Raaz.