Author Topic: Looking to Adopt in KY  (Read 573 times)

Offline A.ngelF.eathers

• Ritten
Looking to Adopt in KY
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
Hello Goosemoose peoples. I'm located in Southeastern Kentucky and have been looking for a companion for my female baby for quite a while now.
There are no rescues or breeders within a reasonable distance of me, and as well there are no craigslist ADs or anything similar. I'm trying to avoid going the petshop route as the only petshop here sells nothing but feeders and they do not separate by gender, nor are they kept in decent conditions, so they are all quite ill.
My real concern is being afraid I'll end up with a pregnant doe and that's just not good for anyone :\

My little girl is about 6 months old now, and I have raised her from the time she was 2, going on 3, weeks. She's recently moved to a much large cage and I feel it's really time to get the hammer down on finding her a friend. We've tried in the past, but... obviously it didn't happen.

So, I suppose I'm just asking around here. I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction of finding a friend for my girl.
She has had interaction with rats before. She visits my boys through their bars (in my hands of course) and seems interested. She's very playful and curious. I'm confident she would nothing but benefit from having a companion close to her age.
~~~~~~
OH, I'm also very open to taking on a neutered male as well.

Offline etky

Re: Looking to Adopt in KY
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »
I'm from Kentucky too! I grew up in Lexington. I spent a summer in Whitesburg, and yeah, I can imagine it's hard to find a good place to get a little buddy for your girl. I live in Boston now, but when I lived in Kentucky I looked around some. I think there is a rescue group in Frankfurt - Bluegrass Rattie Rescue. I know Frankfurt is quite a bit away, but they might be able to meet you half way or something. Or at least maybe point you in the right direction.
I guess my other thought would be to get your girl spayed. It will probably help cut down on mammary tumors later, and then she could live with your boys. I'm sure that's also not easy to get done in that area, but just a thought.
Good luck

Offline flyersgirl

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
I have 6 female rats all raised by me with never a boy rat in sight-so no possibility of any being preggers.  I am needing to rehome them as my daughter and I have become more and more allergic. The range in age from 2 to about 11 months.  4 are fancy, one is a dumbo and one is a naked.  If you are interested in one or more of my little girls just let me know.  I am located in central KY but would be free to meet somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:00:49 PM by flyersgirl »

Offline Risika57

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dayton Coordinator for EARPS
    • Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
We at Rattie Tattie Rescue have a lot of rats who need homes. We are located in Cincinnati, OH, but are able to get rats up to 3 hours way in any direction. So if you're willing to meet somewhere, we'd be able to transport some rats to you.

www.rattietattierescue.com

Stephanie Johnson (stephanie@earps.org)
Ohio Coordinator
Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
www.earps.org