Author Topic: diarrhea  (Read 651 times)

Offline danadu6

diarrhea
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »
I am fostering three 16 week old  Abyssinian/Bengal mix kittens. I just got them today. They werr giving shots and deworming I think 2 days ago. They are having some mild diarrhea. Is this common and should I give them anything for it? 
Thanks
It has been many years since I have had kittens in the house. But hearing their little feet running all over the house is music to my ears!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
I haven't had kittens in so long (and they'd already usually be wormed and such) that I'm not sure...but it's my sneaking suspicion that between the meds and stress of changes (plus, has their food been changed?) that some upset tummies might be in order.  If it continues or gets worse, make sure to have it checked out asap so they don't get dehydrated.  (Kitties drink so little that it can really happen quickly).

Are you fostering through an organization?  Because you can also call them, not just the vet.

But, say, Abyssinian/Bengals...gosh, I would bet they're pretty handsome!  You know you'll have to start posting pics, right?   :wink5:  Those are probably going to be some pretty active little beasties, if pedigree says anything out it!

;D  - Raaz.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
It is relatively common for kitties to have a bit of a reaction toward vaccinations and worming, also, as was said, it could also be stress.

What I'd do is either soak their food, give caned for a few days, or grind their food into a powder via a blender and mix with lots of water as it will absorb a lot more when it is ground (just keep mixing and add a little at a time). It'll help to keep them hydrated, also, the reason I grind and mix is that dry food is cheaper, just be warned that once the powder is mixed it will not keep, period, make sure to remove it after an hour or less.

Good luck with your babies.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline danadu6

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
Thanks. I did soak some alittle bit of the food in water. They sure are full of personality and are such lovers!! They were rescued from a petting zoo if you can believe that. The lady I am fostering them for runs a horse rescue and takes in cats/kittens sometimes. I believe she is involved with the local humane society. Ill post so pics later. Right now I'm enjoying laying in a bed full of sweet kittens.  :heart:   Eases my heart some after having to put my cat Baxter to sleep a few weeks ago. I would love to keep all 3 of these lovers, but I keep reminding myself that I am FOSTERING and once these guys find homes, I will forster more. That way more cats find homes.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Yeah, if it keeps going, just give somone a buzz and make sure it sounds okay.  You know about skin tenting, right?  When (and by that point pretty dehydrated), the skin near the nape of the neck (and other places too) when pinched and lifted, doesn't return to the body as quickly as it should.  If they get to that point, seeing a vet or at least consulting one is very important!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-u99DV4lKw

This video has one of a cat who is probably moderately dehydrated (in my esperience...I've had  a few cats with conditions that made them pee too much, like kidney and hyperthyroid).  If it is like that (takes it's time returning to position and doesn't clear up in a day or two) do call the vet.  If it's slower, or even almost doesn't return to position, call right away.

Age and body fat can effect how long it takes to "snap back," but with little boogers, it really should be immediate.  (I've had goodness knows how many kitties over my lifetime, and still had the vet noticing tenting when I didn't...so deyhyration is often pretty far along before very obvious...at least for me).

Good luck...they sound like a great crew!  A petting zoo?  How weird.  Glad they get to be spoiled with love snuggling with you now!

;D - Raaz.