Author Topic: Cage bottom liner help  (Read 658 times)

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

Cage bottom liner help
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
Im a little confused as to how to bottom liner for the cage we have for our girls. The one im using now isnt pretty looking at all. I just used a rectanglar shaped big piece of fleece and drouped it in there and put the cage on top to hold it in place. I dont want the girls going under it if at all possible lol..

heres how I have it now. Its hard to think of something with the pan being deeper
-Amber

Offline pt.lire16

Re: Cage bottom liner help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »
Sadly, rats can go under whether you like it or not. The first time I tried that method as you pictured with my Rat Resort, within half an hour, they chewed a hole in all four corners and used it as this hideaway. They thought it was super fun... I did not. =_=.

Now I actually have critter nation. So while i can hold it down with elastics/binder clips, I'm just trying out just laying on top. It depends on your priority too. Let them go under the fleece or risk having chewed up fleece (in their determination to make the fleece a hideout).

Really, just trial and error.  :thumbsup2:

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
LOL I meant to mention they havnt chewed anything as of yet.. Im still crossing my fingers they stay that way :) Im thinking about just laying it down like a blanket type bottom nstead of having it hang out like that... Im just hoping they will keep using there "litter box" lol
-Amber

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
You could either trim it so it hangs out more.. evenly, or trim/fold it on the bottom and hold down the corners with things in the cage, such as the litter pan. They're a lot more likely to pull it up if it's not being held down by the cage though, unfortunately. I'd just trim the sides so only a small amount is hanging out.
Also, love the fabric.
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
Thanks :) I got more fabric today Black and on the outside of the hammocks is black and pink zebra stripes :) Right now im trying it with the litter pan holing it down and see how that goes. If not ill just have it hang out the sides like I did with the purple fabric but try to make it neater :)
-Amber

Offline ArielleZTB

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:43:59 AM »
Yeah I would just trim it to where it all looks even. Maybe leave like a half an inch to an inch out?

I think it'd look kind of cute. Like a bedskirt kind of lol

Offline 4mb3rnich0l3

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
I ended up doing the same thing with this one as I did my purple one.. ALREADY they went under it and started chewing up the newspaper haha :)
-Amber