Author Topic: Wildlife Rehabber Looking For Donations  (Read 2293 times)

Offline amanda2826

• Oh-possum! :)
    • Wildlife Rescue Rehab
Wildlife Rehabber Looking For Donations
« on: August 25, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Amanda and I am a wildlife rehabber in the central valley of California. I currently have 37 Virginia opossums in my care and have recently bought a ferret nation double unit, and a critter nation double unit. I recently found this site and have seen so many amazing fleece creations that would be perfect for the younger opossums I raise. So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in donating any older large fleece cubes, corner cubes, double hammocks, and so on for these babies. I currently have a few rectangular cubes that are over a foot in length to provide plenty of room for a cage of 10 siblings to sleep in and it works great, and they are unable to roll out of them or be pushed out of them while sleeping (I had a flat hammock in one cage and a poor baby got pushed out by its sibling in its sleep, so I have switched to more "enclosed" fleece items) but I would love to get some more and some different styles so there are more sleeping options for them.

You can check out my website at WildlifeRescueRehab.com

Also, if you are unable to donate, thank you for checking out my listing and still please check out my website to learn more about opossums and how great they are to have around your neighborhood. Thank you!  :thumbsup2:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Wildlife Rehabber Looking For Donations
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
I'm not fancy with fabric and short on extra items, but wow...37?!  Goodness, you've got your job cut out for you for sure!  (I can't even imagine!)  I was imagining you with dozens of them all hanging on like the wild ones will have sometimes a dozen BIG babies, still finding a way to amble along!   :eek:

P.S.:  I like Opossums...strange creatures!  And minus the occasional chewed open trash bag, I think they're pretty cool!

;D - Raaz.

Offline amanda2826

• Wildlife Rescue Rehab
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »
Thank you for checking out my post regardless. Check out my website if you get the chance. I have a blog on there with all my recent adventures. :) It cracks me up seeing a mom carrying a big group of babies. They can have up to 13 in a litter, could you imagine carrying them all around! Luckily, the 37 I have are relatively easy to care for right now. When they were younger and needed to be tube fed every two hours.. now that took up quite a bit of time.

I'm glad you like them. They're just looking for some left over scraps, opportunist eaters! They will also eat many unwanted pests around your house, as well as poisonous snakes! I wrote all about it on my website.  ;)

Also, I forgot to mention on my original post. All donators will get their page posted on my website to thank you for your generosity!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:18:15 PM by amanda2826 »

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »
I did do a quick look and such.  No, I'd actually feel bad because (and it was WAY downtown) our local Opossums would eat the most horrific looking things from our garbage.  I worried about them!  I am a private fan, though.  I was just looking up all kinds of stuff on the internet a couple of weeks ago.  Best of luck (sorry I can't help more).

- Raaz.

Offline amanda2826

• Wildlife Rescue Rehab
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
Yeah, they do eat some nasty looking stuff sometimes. But they have tough stomachs, and if it smells good to them, they'll eat it. Many time the younger babies in my care will eat each others feces. And that's so gross to me, but to them it smells good so they eat it. I read up on it the first time they started doing it and found out that if they're fed such good quality food, they won't digest all of the nutrients from it the first time around so they eat it again to get all of the nutrients from it. Makes sense, but still isn't pleasing to the eye. And they will do this while fresh food is still out. Crazy babies!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »
Hey, it all makes sense!  When we had them downtown it made us want to feed them (I was young) but then again, they actually were all pretty beefy looking, so I think carving their own niche in the world!  I totally got wrapped up in watching videos and reading about them last night.

Again, best of luck...hoping others can help, too!

;D - Raaz.