Author Topic: Cat's sweet taste buds, do we know for sure?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Cat's sweet taste buds, do we know for sure?
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »
Question:  Do we know that ALL kitties are completely lacking all sweet taste buds?

From everything physiological, I would think so, right?  And most of my cats who ate sweet stuff and starches were fans for stuff that also had fats in them.  BUT, what explains JUST licking off the icing or eating things like watermelon, etc?

Just curious if there are old genes still floating around out there that might make some sweet foods fiends?

- Raaz.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cat's sweet taste buds, do we know for sure?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:22 PM »

I found this article:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-cats-cannot-taste-sweets

They don't rule out cats being able to detect sugars, but they only have one of the two genes that produce our sweet receptor.  At least, the breed/strain of cats that contributed DNA to the sequencing project was missing that gene.  It doesn't really tell you whether the gene that remains would be able to pair with another taste receptor protein and make a functional receptor.  I think the better argument was the preference tests that showed that cats given the choice between water and sugar water didn't seem to distinguish between the two.

You should do an experiment with your cats and see if your cats prefer sugar water.  Two clean bowls of water, and white sugar for one bowl should do the trick.   :poke:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
Interesting.  Over all of these years, it's only been a couple that seemed to have a sweet tooth.  Thanks!  - Raaz.

Modify:  I did think it was funny about how most cat owners didn't have to worry about cats stealing thier "unattended dessert!"  I guess it might depend on the cat!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:32:48 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline never-sleep

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »
I have a cat who loves sweet things. He is a big fan of chocolate ice cream. And candy. I think theycould have a dulled taste but not a comlete lack of it. Who knows? How could scientists really know? Have they ever been a cat or asked a cat? I guess all I'm saying is that it is possible for the "experts" to be wrong. All they can do is really make an educated guess, because they have no way of actually proving it. If it were a human they could, but since it is an animal they can't.