Author Topic: Throwing up, rashes..  (Read 5043 times)

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
Throwing up, rashes..
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
Bat has little rashes on her tummy, inside of her thighs, to her anus. She throws up every now and then, but now has seemed like she might not feel well, I'm not sure as she hides pain very often. She'd usually throw up after she ate grass. She's always eating crumbs, rat poo..anything she wants and I simply can't do anything but try to keep it cleaned up.

I thought the rashes could be allergies to her dog food so we got her grain-free food. For awhile her excrement was white, dry and crumbly while feeding that and I read that was normal? Something about how that's how it should look and with dog food being total crap that we think the wet and smelly is normal. Anyway, after a week of feeding it she had diarrhea and I noticed her belly seeming empty then realized I haven't seen her eating too often. So I made her some rice and added her old food back the the grain free food and now she is eating grains again. She just threw up and this is why I am making this thread because it's obviously nothing coincidental and it is sounding like her stomach is sensitive, or she is sick, I don't know. We missed her heartworm dose this month, but I doubt that has anything to do with it? She did throw up right after I gave her a crappy grain filled treat. I know they are TERRIBLE but a friend was here with her little sister and I had to lock Bat out or she would've attacked her. Stupid excuse but I felt bad and was in a hurry. She's not used to little children.

Should I gradually add the grain-free food back to her diet? I want to start making her crock pot dinners and feed her more fresh foods. I don't really know how to go about it since all the meat I know of is full of crap from animals that were fed crap and treated like crap. I myself don't want to eat it anymore and would prefer healthy raised, healthy fed, and humanely killed animals for me and my dog.

Should I give her a Benadryl a day to see if it helps? 1mg per pound correct?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:20:04 PM by RattusNorvegicus »

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Throwing up, rashes..
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »
I am not much help on the diet advice.  (All chime in).

Benadryl can not only help with allergies but also with nausea.  It has a low instance for most mammals for overdose complications, but I think (unless someone here REALLY knows about dosing) to probably call your vet for advice.

Best of luck and healing!

- Raaz.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
You can give her benedryl, yes. But if she has food allergies, it's essentially introducing poison into her body over and over despite the benedryl. I suggest switching back to a different grain free food. Or even a better food with a lower grain content.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:17:14 AM »
You can give her benedryl, yes. But if she has food allergies, it's essentially introducing poison into her body over and over despite the benedryl. I suggest switching back to a different grain free food. Or even a better food with a lower grain content.

Good point.  I was thinking short term I think when I wrote that.

- Raaz.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »
Of course I won't continue feeding her something she is allergic to, but at this moment I'm not sure what it is. About her feces, is what I mentioned above healthy? White and powdery(ish)?

I need to get her on a solid grain free diet to see if what she is allergic to is indeed grains.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
What you describe for her poop is more puzzling.  I will venture just with some suggestions, but have a feeling this is for sure a vet kind of thing to check out.

Dehydration.  I don't know how poop could actually be powdery, even if constipated or dehydrated.  ? 

If there were more just "spots" or it seemed greasy, that could be less of ability to digest (or not adjusted yet) to eating more fats.

Pale is what I worry about I think most, because if there is a blockage of the bile duct or insufficiency of bile production, it might well appear pale.  Now, this is far more from my knowledge about humans, I don't know how dogs usually function in that they are built to eat a lot more meat.  But I don't want to panic you...not my area of specialty.  You can read about bile issues and be sure to also look up pancreas and liver, here:  http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_cholecystitis_choledochitis
(Just as a starting point).

I googled "white stools/feces" and dogs and a lot of people were commenting on too much calcium, especially from eating bones.  Don't know if that applies.

Does you dog have any other health conditions?

- Raaz.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
I will have to check her stool now, I haven't seen it recently. She doesn't have any other health problems that I didn't mention, apart from weird breathing. I've brought it up to the vet, and he said it's nothing to worry about and brought up reverse sneezing, (which she does do) and such. If she needs to go to the vet, I am not taking her to him as I really don't feel comfortable with him.

Her breathing sounds snorty if you lay her down, or play with her..I can't explain it, but it's always been this way. I'm afraid to have her spayed because of it. I'm just worried all over when it comes to her. I lost my first dog to lymphoma at age 6, and just fear losing her. To anything.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
By not spaying her, you are dramatically increasing her likelihood of developing mammary cancers. Find a vet you trust and get it all checked out. They will know far more than we will just based off of your descriptions on an internet forum.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
I understand. I just don't have a vet I trust yet.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
Most vets are fine with dogs. With exotics, yes, it is more smart to be careful. But you could use any vet that your local shelters or humane society use to spay/neuter.

My dog has snorty breathing sometimes. She is a high risk dog with numerous serious health issues. She came through her spay perfectly fine. The longer you wait, the more dangerous it is.

White stool is NOT normal. To me, that sounds like the dog has gotten into something. On a good quality food, you get small, dark coloured stool. On crappy food, you get wetter, larger, light coloured stool.