Author Topic: Your maine coon friends?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Your maine coon friends?
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:20:20 PM »
Okay...so coming up I will likely adopting a new kitty friend.  (Still will have to build up some vet funds and such, it's not in the immediate future, but opening myself up to the possibility).

I am the ultimate of rescueing any kitty that steals my heart and seems right kind of person, but I keep having dreams of maine coons/mixes/REALLY big kitties.  (I sort of believe in fate, in some ways...though whomever steals my heart, no matter what kind, gets dibbs).

I'm just wondering if folks out there have Maine Coon cats or mixes and have anything to share about them.  I've had two friends with them.  One was so old, believe you me, she was mellow.  (Way into her 20's...she lived to be 28).  I don't know what she was like when younger, though!  My other friend's is actually a tuxedo cat to the max (though I know they can come in many coat colors) and is probably a mix.  But he's a pretty big boy and basically hates everyone but me.  (That rack of wiskers and general coat thickness and orientation gives him off as probably being at least part maine coon).

Just a question.  Any comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Raaz.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Your maine coon friends?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:17:48 AM »
My grumpy old man mainecoon is no longer with us, I miss him :(   That said, I didn't get him til he was about 10 years old, he was born with a heart murmur and a lip defect thing (forget the name of it)   He was a big affectionate boy, but obviously had issues which can be related to the breed.   

I also had a female who I suspect was a mainecoon mix - my love bug heart cat, who slept in my arms under my chin nightly, and drooled all over my arm.   

Many cats are mislabeled as being mainecoon mixes in rescues/shelters, since there really isn't a way to know unless you know one of the relatives is a purebred, but it makes them more appealing to adopters so some places will do it.   Norwegian forest cats are also similar in both look and size, and there is always a chance of some cats just being bigger for one reason or another.   

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
My grumpy old man mainecoon is no longer with us, I miss him :(   That said, I didn't get him til he was about 10 years old, he was born with a heart murmur and a lip defect thing (forget the name of it)   He was a big affectionate boy, but obviously had issues which can be related to the breed.   

I also had a female who I suspect was a mainecoon mix - my love bug heart cat, who slept in my arms under my chin nightly, and drooled all over my arm.   

Many cats are mislabeled as being mainecoon mixes in rescues/shelters, since there really isn't a way to know unless you know one of the relatives is a purebred, but it makes them more appealing to adopters so some places will do it.   Norwegian forest cats are also similar in both look and size, and there is always a chance of some cats just being bigger for one reason or another.

I'm a big fan of any cat!  They don't have to be purebred...they can even be mislabled or whatever!  Sometimes it's just nice to know a bit about a breed.  That big boy kitty who is tuxedo we will never know about, but I'm willing to put money on it.  The Norwegians are also gorgeous kitties.  And not all Maine Coons are gigantic!

In the end, I'm a big fan of mutts.  I won't pay a breeder for a purebred cat, though if one happens along from a rescue, of course if it's the right cat I don't mind either way! 

;D - Raaz.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Our.current cat is a Maine Coin. He and his six month old litter brother were both red tabbies with white, and one was hamming it up in the cage for my older daughter. She begged to hold him and I relented but with a speech that we didn't need another Kitty right now as daddy was in the hospital. Well that Maine Coon adolescent rolled over in her arms and, purring loud purrs, reached up and touched her face with paw. I called Steve in his room and needless to say we took him home. Murphy Muldoon is bright, sweet, loves to play although be is probably eight
 He has bulletproof use of his catbox even when it is full and retrieves. He comes when called. He loves and tolerates Amy hauling him around and sleeping with him like a Teddy bear or pillow. He likes my sweet talking pat sessions but in his heart of hearts I think his favorite thing is long quiet night sleeping on mu husband's lap as he sleeps in his recliner. He keeps amazingly good care of his coat although we clip him down each h summer
 As he gets older we moved him to Hairball formula aims

Our previous Maine coon was a retiring breeder and show at. He was described as aloof and not a lap cat but he was a huge beautiful brown tabby with white and I had to see him. The house was crawling. With cats and when I first saw Mr Mistopheles he was lying down across the highest cupboard go Inc us the hairy eyeball. But when we sat on the couch to talk he appeared out of nowhere, jumped up on my lap kneading his huge beautiful paws and purring like a trilling waterfall. His.breeder could not believe it. After a while he disappeared and we couldn't find him anywhere. He had ensconced himself in the carrier we had brought and left open. I looked in on him and he started loud purrs agaiin. I asked if he wanted to cone home with me and he added toe stretches.  He refused to leave the carrier for a several hour visit.. He was good as gold all the way home.but when we forced his considerable bulk into a carrier for his first vet check he howled like a lost soul being dragged to hell, all the way there. I think he thought he was going back. But at the. Vet's he was fine, and on the way home. Mister was clearly my cat and only tolerated others. He was super brght and when I was our of town would dance on the answering machine to hear my voice. Later I'll tell another story of how bright he was.

--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
I had a tuxedo'd Maine Coon mix when I was younger.  He was my cat, through and through.  He slept with me every night, and would lick my face while I was falling asleep.  His name was Quigley, and he was my heart.  I still cry about missing him to this day, actually.  Silly, since he's been gone for 16 years, but true. 

When we went away on vacation, we had a neighbor down the street that would come up to feed the cats and water the plants.  At the time, our cats were indoor/outdoor, and if Quigley thought they were running behind, he'd go down to their house and knock on the window to encourage them along.

One winter, he went missing, and we had a horrendous blizzard.  I just knew I'd never see him again.  Weeks went by, and I'd finally given up hope.  Then, we got a call from a friend who asked if our cat was missing.  Apparently, he'd been at another friends house, several miles from our house, and across a lake (frozen in the winter), and saw Quigley.  He asked where they got him from, and they said he'd wandered up in the middle of the snowstorm and knocked on their window to be let in.  They opened the door, and he came in like he owned the place, and stayed.  Once they figured out he belonged to us, they gave him back.  But that was his attitude.  The world owed him fealty, and he took it as his due. 

He was 26 pounds of muscle, with very little fat on him.  He was also ridiculously fluffy!  I loved him to pieces, and it tore me apart when I had to leave him to go to college.  At that point, my parents were ready to not have cats, so they asked the neighbor who had been his caretaker for many years to take him in.  He died less than a year later.  He was around 10 years old.  Knowing what I know now, it was probably a result of him being outdoors so much, but he was so happy to be that way.  Man, I miss him.   :'(

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »
Wow.  26 lbs would be hard to breathe with if they slept on one's chest!  I love the stories, though, keep them coming.

As far as cat carriers...my last two (I am on a short kitty hiatus until building up a vet fund and such...as completely insane as that is to my personality!) I would USUALLY take to the vet together, if just for check ups (unless leaving one for surgery or something) and I would set it out two night before a scheduled appointment.  Oh, they'd sleep in it, love it.  But cats aren't stupid.  No matter how I acted or what I did, they KNEW when it was vet time, and I usually got some good scars finding a way to stuff them (kindly of course) into their carrier!  My girly was the worst, and I had to show up without her twice as she was NOT having any part of it!   ::)

The only truly teeny kitty (even my "skinny boy" was usually about 11 lbs) was my mom's, and this rediculous little blue persian with TONS of hair and big ass copper eyes.  I had no idea how tiny he was (under that mass of wooly fur) until one day when he was shaved.   :doh:  Still sticks in my mind as about the silliest thing I've ever seen. 

Thanks for the Maine Coon stories, keep 'em coming!  I'm not quite yet sure when a new kitties or kitties will join me (economics being the biggest issue), but someone very cool will be my choice.

;D - Raaz.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
I've been looking a lot at Maine Coons on line...don't ask why, I'm just a sucker.  Some BIG ones out there!  (Not like I didn't know, but 20 some lb cats really are BIG!)  My girl is around 12 lbs...so she's kind of on the normal side.

I was impressed with some of the polydactyl kitties.  BIG paws to begin with and then add "thumbs" and toes!  There was a pair of regular red tabby boys that were EXTREMELY polydactyl...like I have no idea how many toes, and it was different on each foot!  I'd have taken them home in a second, but I wasn't in a place to adopt a new kitty at the time.  Sweet boys, though.

Well...hoping to see more of my girl soon.   ;D - Raaz.

Modify:  Ahh...I do love those chunky paws, though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:15:14 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline danadu6

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
Any new developments with your girl?   Maybe my foster Tommy has some Maine Coon in him. He is a moose!!! Almost 9 lbs and only 5 months old.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
A moose for sure!  I haven't had a kitten in a long time, but that sounds pretty beefy!

I love looking at the photos of those 30 lb cats and just imagining what it would be like to have a beastie like that around the house!

Um...saw her today, albeit rather briefly.  Got quite the growl on the little thing!  It's gonna take a while!

- Raaz.

PS, anyone with info on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (did I spell that right) in Maine Coons, let me know.  I know they are a pretty sturdy breed but this condition seems to come up a lot for them.  She's only 5, which is barely full-grown for a Maine Coon, I'm not worried.  Heck, all of our persians died of cancer, stuff happens.  I'd still have a persian if one came my way!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:23:33 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline Brearune

• Foster Rattie Mum
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
I've had a few friends with Maine Coons - all of the ones she had were big, lovable, total sweethearts <3 Wonderful personality, and pretty low maintenance for a long-haired kitty, didn't need much grooming at all.
Current Fosters: Serenity and her 'firefly' litter of 9
Past Fosters: Basin, Gulley
RIP: Sootie, Monkey

~Bree~

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
I think I lost my last message.  Kitty has two new combs/brushes waiting for her.  Growing up with himi's and persians I was usually the groomer...I know about grooming!  When I left for college our really silly blue wooly persian had to get shaved because someone else was not grooming!  I just know it's gonna be a battle with her.  My last two were shorthaired and the boy had almost no undercoat.  The tortie girl sure did, though.  There was that commercial of the cat who exploded ALL of their hair...that happened about twice a year!

;D - Raaz.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 05:20:13 PM »
I've had way too much fun watching Maine Coon videos on you tube.  (I seriously need to get over watching cat videos incessantly!)

There was the guinness book record kitty on there...and this other one where someone had a big boy/girl (?) standing on their tummy making a bed and I was thinking "wouldn't that lead to bladder failure?)   ::)

People think I'm kidding when I say that I'm totally stupid about the computer and all I do is email and look up videos of cute cats.  Um...that's about 80% true!

- Raaz.

PS:  I didn't realize that (they say) that Maine Coons are now the second most popular breed after Persians.  I thought for a long time Siamese held the record.  I've known a few, but not so many.  I had no idea!  (Oh, we had persians though...I thought it was funny that on one of those Animal Planet TV shows they said never to let them outside as they have "no street smarts!"  No kidding!)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:24:18 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
I had a tuxedo'd Maine Coon mix when I was younger.  He was my cat, through and through.  He slept with me every night, and would lick my face while I was falling asleep.  His name was Quigley, and he was my heart.  I still cry about missing him to this day, actually.  Silly, since he's been gone for 16 years, but true. 

When we went away on vacation, we had a neighbor down the street that would come up to feed the cats and water the plants.  At the time, our cats were indoor/outdoor, and if Quigley thought they were running behind, he'd go down to their house and knock on the window to encourage them along.

One winter, he went missing, and we had a horrendous blizzard.  I just knew I'd never see him again.  Weeks went by, and I'd finally given up hope.  Then, we got a call from a friend who asked if our cat was missing.  Apparently, he'd been at another friends house, several miles from our house, and across a lake (frozen in the winter), and saw Quigley.  He asked where they got him from, and they said he'd wandered up in the middle of the snowstorm and knocked on their window to be let in.  They opened the door, and he came in like he owned the place, and stayed.  Once they figured out he belonged to us, they gave him back.  But that was his attitude.  The world owed him fealty, and he took it as his due. 

He was 26 pounds of muscle, with very little fat on him.  He was also ridiculously fluffy!  I loved him to pieces, and it tore me apart when I had to leave him to go to college.  At that point, my parents were ready to not have cats, so they asked the neighbor who had been his caretaker for many years to take him in.  He died less than a year later.  He was around 10 years old.  Knowing what I know now, it was probably a result of him being outdoors so much, but he was so happy to be that way.  Man, I miss him.   :'(

I have no idea why I didn't see your post.  So sorry you lost your boy.  Man, 26 lbs is at least 10 more than any kitty I've had!  I lost my dear, dear boy shortly after I went to college (and couldn't take him) because someone was a total dingbat in care.   :doh:  Won't get into that.  Hey, if he loved being outdoors, so be it!  There are worse things than doing what you want to.

:heart: - Raaz.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
Here at last are two pictures of our Maine Coon Murphy Muldoon, shown in a portrait of shared boundless ambitious activity with my husband. Note how he is using my husband's hand as a pillow. My oldest daughter considers him hers, and he comes to me for treats and cuddles, but he sleeps on my mellow husband every chance he gets.

--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:40 AM »
Wow!  Now that's a cat!  Mine isn't so big, maybe partially because she's a girl, but still.  Thank you for sharing!   ;D - Raaz.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
 :bdaysmile:  Amy asked me to tell you that Murphy's birthday is October 10   :party:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
 :wav:

Oh, how old is he now?  He's a monster compared to mine (though not like 11-12 lbs is tiny!)

What a gem!  Happy birthday Murphy!

- Raaz.