Author Topic: New Guinea Pig!!  (Read 1574 times)

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
New Guinea Pig!!
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
So.... I work at a veterinary clinic and a client was "given" (ie..the evicted neighbors abandoned on her front porch..) an adorable little guinea pig. Being an elderly lady without the ability to care for her(pretty sure it's a her..doing research now, also she appears to have a UTI we're working on.) I told her I'd take her off her hands and at least get her healthy and find her a new home. So.. I'm now the proud foster of an adorable lil pig pig that I know next to nothing about. I have ratties as most of you know and have an extra cage suitable for her for the time being with intentions on building or purchasing a larger one in the near future. I really just don't know anything about these adorable critters. I'm researching like crazy but if there is anything you have that can help I'd love to hear it!
Critters, critters everywhere, we're never short on love <3
Pooches: Kole, Dally and Cheyenne
King of the household our feline friend Gibson
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.
Three rattie girls Hoodlum and the no name twins
My snazzy Betta buddy Sake
and my beloved equine friend, 1100lbs of heart Kaycejones

Offline katev394

• Fur Kid Accessories
Re: New Guinea Pig!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »
I have ratties and guinea pigs. The first thing you need to know is that guinea pigs (like rats) are social animals and need to be housed with one or more other animal of the same species. Make sure to get your guinea pig a friend asap! I have a C&C cage for my pigs - they are the best available, cheapest, and easy to clean. You can build your own or get one here: http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs

And here are instructions on how to build one: http://www.guineapigcages.com/

I Have my pigs on towels covered with fleece because like rats they have sensitive respiratory systems. It's also much more cost effective and easier to clean. Guinea pigs need a constant supply of timothy hay and pellets. I use Oxbow Adult Guinea pig diet as I read it's supposed to be one of the best (although its a bit costly). Another important thing to remember is to trim your guinea pig's nails and remember to let them get some free roam time! Fresh veggies every day is a must - guinea pigs need vitamin C or else they can easily develop scurvy! (I feed my piggies vitamin C tablets along with fresh veggies every day). Hope this helps and good luck with your cavy! <3
R.I.P Phoebe, DeeDee, Lela, Lucy, Shelly, and Daphne<3

Fur kids:
2 fuzzbutt ferrets - Huey and Dougan
3 cavies - Charlie, Henry, and Edie
4 ratties - Audry, Josie, Dale & Cooper

http://www.etsy.com/shop/FurkidAccessories

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
With the situation, I'm not going to go into how they need friends. It's not your fault she's a lone pig. Maybe try and get her adopted into a home that already has some pigs though?
They are messy, if she's long haired you better really keep up with brushing. The one pig that came to me(someone I knew was desperately trying to get rid of it) was COVERED in matts. So bad they were pulling on her skin 24/7.
I also completely agree with C&C cages, they are amazing. I've had multiple for my rabbit and they're very easy to build and clean. I believe a 2x3 is minimum for pigs?

Like katev394 said, lots of veggies for Vit. C. There's plenty of safe foods lists online if you're having trouble thinking up variety. And lots of playtime for piggy! You can give them paper bags, wood toys, tubes, comfy beds, etc. Even a stuffed toy might bring her some comfort.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guy and the cage store is awesome and is on my list as soon as I can afford it. Getting her a friend is not in the cards at the moment but I'm looking and considering my options with that. Lots of veggies, hay and a quality food, i'm curently using carefresh but will probably make a few cage liners for her as I use towels in my rattie cage. She is short haired and appears fat and happy. Turns out sh doesn't have a UTI it was just that the elderly lady didn't clean her cage appropriately and their urine turns color as is dries.  :P She seems well right now and is starting to bond to me. Still in need of the perfect name but she doesn't seem to mind ;)
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.

Offline Lana

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
If you have medical questions, be sure to post on www.guinealynx.info - there are some very pig savvy people on that forum, and they have a lot resources regarding care & health of piggies. A c&c cage is fairly inexpensive to build. Someone else posted about www.guineapigcages.com

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
Chilla is doing very well and has settled in nicely to our little..ok..large..family. I purchased her a Midwest pig cage and have plans to purchase an additional section (or a C&C) if the intros with our newest (to be picked up tomorrow) addition and her succeed at introductions. So far she's been a happy and fun little pig though she prefers to be left alone, hoping that will change with her new company. Her companion to be (fingers crossed) is a ~1yr female black long hair. Very excited to see how it goes!
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Yay!
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe