Author Topic: Puppy potty training  (Read 854 times)

Offline Schrute

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We create our own horror; animals have no choice.
Puppy potty training
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
Hello all! We adopted a new puppy today. Our last dog, Franklin, who we also adopted as a puppy, was a potty training nightmare! We read all of the books and took training classes, but it still took until he was a year and a half to stop pottying in the house. I'd really like to avoid this same occurrence with our new puppy. I know the basic potty training rules (I read everything I could get my hands on when we were going through this with Franklin), so I'm really looking for personal tips and tricks that seemed to work for you. Any uncommon/unusual home remedies or suggestions that helped you?

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: Puppy potty training
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Set him up for success. Don't give him any opportunity to have an accident- if you can't watch him 100% (like taking a shower, etc) he should be in a crate. For some dogs this requires having them tethered to you with a leash to ensure you don't miss any signals they need to potty. If there is an accident, don't make a big deal out of it after the fact. And praise like crazy when he potties outside! One mistake many people make is taking the dog inside immediately after they go to the bathroom. If they enjoy being out there, this is a negative. I like to take them out on leash (even if the yard is fenced), get them to potty, praise with treats and/or attention and then play outside with them (letting him off-leash if you have a fence).
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline MomOfJixi

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life is better with love and laughter
    • Canine Training
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 04:09:34 AM »
Bell training. You tie a bell to the doorknob to go outside (or beside the door- I always did this or I'd manage to get the bell caught in the door  :doh: ) within reach of the dog. EVERY time that door opens, ring the bell (if it's tied to the knob it'll ring anyways). Eventually, you can try to teach the dog to ring it. As soon as the dog rings it, open the door. Usually it won't take long before they make the connection and will ring it to be let out to potty. Make sure EVERY time the bell is rung (even if hte puppy is just playing w/ the bell) the door opens; it doesn't have to be wide (I will crack it open and close it again after a count of 3 if they dog was just playing w the bell and not requesting a potty time). I tend to always ask my parent's dog (the first one I taught to do bell training- I am currently teaching my household the bell trick) if he needs to go 'make ding-a-lings' and he'll waddle over and nudge the bell so I'll let him out to potty.
"Love is a rhythm, free the music inside" -me

Mom to: 4 doggie kids, 10 rattie kids, and one gorgeous human girl

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
Another thing that'll help is getting your new pup on a schedule, it'll drastically reduce accidents. I let my three pups out before and after everything they do, just after they get up, before/after they eat, /before/after they play, before they go down for a nap, etc.

I crate train, so in the morning, now that a schedule has been established and has advanced over a few months, I sit them down and open the crate. At which point they wiggle, silently and wait for me to release them. Once released they run to the door and are, again, expected to sit and wait. Once released to go outside they potty first, then they are allowed to play for a few minutes. Then they come in and wrestle around while I prepare breakfast, they are crated and fed there; now that they're 3+ months old they wait for 20 minutes before I let them out to potty again, but when they were younger they couldn't hold it in for even half that amount of time.

This goes on at the same time in the same way, everyday, until the puppies have gained more adept bladder control, at around six months of age, only then do I begin to vary their schedule more vastly.

It sounds a bit crazy at first, but you get used to it and the babies love knowing what to expect, structure is good for young beasts, no matter the species.

The sitting before being allowed out is a variation of the bell-training mentioned above, but due to an affliction I'm not very tolerant of most artificial, audible cues used in dog training, so I avoid them. The reason I sit my dogs before allowing them out is so that they, one, don't leap at the door, two, don't bolt out the door once it's opened, and three, so that I have a visual signal that they need to go outside.

Good luck with your new baby, they can be trying at times, but the hard work and patience is well worth the end result.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy