Author Topic: Sophie...  (Read 8404 times)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Sophie...
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Okay, I was gonna wait a bit, but couldn't stand it!

Sophie, a really gorgeous medium sized Maine Coon just came home with me.  I think she's closer to 12 lbs. than the 10.5 they listed, but that doesn't matter!

She was in a really cool foster home, and...well...with her history, it might be a while before even *I* get to see her much, but she's home.  She will be off of this website soon, but they always leave adopted kitties up for a while.  It still says "application pending" because it's a Sunday and I just picked her up a few hours ago.  She's the 10th or so one down.

http://www.purebredcatrescue.org/available-for-adoption-7

BTW:  I'm not even particularly into purebreds...her story is what got me and someone I knew used to foster for them and adopted from them.  My last two were TOTAL mutts!  (Best cats ever!)   ;D

I met max, who is also on there and also got adopted out today (along with another kitty!).  The photo does him no justice...cute and crazy little siamese!

This will take time.  She's doing the "bedroom only" thing for a while...whatever seems right, but I'm very patient.  Even though the inside of me is jumping out of it's skin wanting to see her!  I'll check in later.  She got out of her carrier, I showed her the litter and such, and then she was done with me.  It was a long ride, too.  I hope she's comfortably snoozing.

Time will tell!

:wav: - Raaz.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Sophie...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
Congrats, she's beautiful!  They've updated the site to show that she's been adopted.  Can't wait to hear more about her as she comes out of her shell!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:43:49 AM »
Congrats, she's beautiful!  They've updated the site to show that she's been adopted.  Can't wait to hear more about her as she comes out of her shell!

Thanks.  My bed is the kind you can't get under, so she's been hiding under the end blankets that reach the floor.  Luckily I tucked them in in a hurry, so there is plenty at the end!  That's her room to herself as long as she needs it, minus me popping in now and then and talking nice to her, a quick check, and going along my way.  I do sure hope it works out well, but it may take quite a while.  Foster mom clipped her nails and groomed her well today, knowing that she'll probably hide from me for a good while!  She really is that gorgeous, though...if looking at me like I'm satan!  I don't know if she's used to men (we aren't sure who all she lived with in some of her transitions), but I tend to use a much higher pitched voice with kitties, anywayz, and am not the most imposing male in body language.  (Though I'm sure it's still different).  Through the door she can hear my regular speaking voice, so hopefully that will help her adapt.

Luckily I kind of prefer to sleep on the couch in the other room!  (I might be there for quite a while!)   ::)

- Raaz.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:46:36 AM by Rzrwyre »

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:08 AM »
So happy for both of you!!!  :bdaysmile:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
She is so pretty :)

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
Any recent Sophie sighting? Enquiring minds want to know.  :cheeky:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
I don't know how I didn't see this. Congrats!
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Umm...well, I saw her tail this morning!  It's gorgeous, but such a small part of her!  I think MAYBE a positive point is that at first she was so shy and scared that she'd let me take off the blankets and look, and today she actually growled (a little) when I was going to!  MAYBE that's a gain in confidence!  (She's not really known for growling, but I took the "kitty middle finger" as enough for her for that visit!)  I'll also post on the "worried kitty daddy thread" that she's been eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing like a champ!  So immediate worries over.  I hope she gets to enjoy the room, though, as there is a great picture window, great sunlight, other places to snuggle, and a SUPER cat tree!  The rest of the apartment is hers when she wants it, too.

I worry less about how much time it takes for socialization, just happy she's eating and all.  She's had a rough go at it and deserves her space.

- Raaz.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:25:07 PM »
I missed out on seeing her picture, it seems that the rescue took it down.  If and When you get to know her better pictures would be awesome!  :poke:
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »
I have to find a camera that works...um...and see kitty a bit more before photos.  (She really is gorgeous, though...a "brown classic tabby" pattern Maine Coon with wonderful green eyes...like REALLY green.)  Her swirls on the sides are really stunning.  I admit that I've never had a "tabby" patterned cat.  Right now I'd only be able to offer up a photo of her tail, which always seems to stick out from under the covers!

I was gonna call her foster mom last night or today (as she said was fine to do) and she called me, instead!  She's not too worried about progress so far...it's not going to be easy for her and she really had a rough ride after her person had to surrender her.  (Her foster mom is about the coolest person on earth, so I really trust her advice).

Tonight I will start sleeping in the room...I'm afraid I'll just roll around and snore too much!   ::)  We'll see how it goes!

It was nice that she came with full vet clearance of about everything, because I told foster mom, "I'd probably need a hockey uniform to get her to the vet!"  She's not a fan of grooming, though, so it's good that mom had her all groomed and clipped her nails before she came to me.  Again, that would take a hockey uniform and more guts than I probably have!

She can take her time.  That's okay.  Easing into it.

- Raaz.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
Man, my grrly's pee is STINKY!  (Not like spray, just stinky!)  I'm so glad that she's doing all of the physically necessary items that I don't want to mess up her cycle (as she's...sensitive) but PHEW!  When I had two kitties, both of who peed more than most due to hyperthyroidism and kidney disease, I STILL didn't have to change the scoopable litter more than once a week.  I've been scooping as often as I can get to it (about twice a day...usually I'm a slacker more like once a day) and I don't have enough time to get more litter before work, but it needs major changing!

Any suggestions are welcome, though I won't make changes for a bit due to her still settling in.

- Raaz.

(I usually use scoop away unscented...though there is an alternate brand when they run out, I forget, sorry, also unscented).

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
So happy you found a new little love.  Can't wait to see pics as she comes out of her shell.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 01:52:31 AM »
Have u tried arm and hammer multicat?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »
I won't use a scented cat litter, though I know they all basically have a masking scent.  I might start mixing in some plain sodium carbonate, but at the same time *I* don't care if she's stinky!  (The landlords might, though!)  I was just kind of surprised!

Speaking of...I should go see if she still hates me!  (Time to do food, sit on the bed, sing to her...gosh I wish I could actually sing!).

- Raaz.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
I won't use a scented cat litter, though I know they all basically have a masking scent.  I might start mixing in some plain sodium carbonate, but at the same time *I* don't care if she's stinky!  (The landlords might, though!)  I was just kind of surprised!

Speaking of...I should go see if she still hates me!  (Time to do food, sit on the bed, sing to her...gosh I wish I could actually sing!).

- Raaz.

Arm and Hammer isn't scented, it just has added baking soda to absorb odor.  Heck, you could just add your own baking soda to your current litter and see if that helps.  :)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
Thanks, Marybelle.  I think I tried that kind and it didn't clump well.  *I* hardly care if she's stinky, but we'll see what works!  (I've done baking soda in the past).

I SAW Sophie today!  I think I caught her when she was out of hiding (probably in the box) and she's still gorgeous, but still giving me the kitty middle finger.  Foster mom said to expect basically about 4 weeks of that at the least.  Oh, well.  She needs a good home, and I think I'm a nice guy, so hopefully it will work out.  I just want her to be happy...which took a long time at her last house, but she did come around.

I admit it's kind of hard having a GORGEOUS Maine Coon who you don't even see...really.  (Except her tail!)  We'll do our best.  She just deserves a good home, she's been tossed around too much in the last couple of years.  I don't want her to be miserable, but she needs a forever home.

:heart: - Raaz.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
Patience will win her over!

We had a cat that we fostered for a while who was terribly timid.  She lived in our bathroom closet, because it was the only place she felt safe.  I'd go and sit in the bathroom and talk to her and just sit.  It took many many many weeks, but eventually, she felt safe enough to come out whenever I was in the bathroom.  And she became the sweetest kitty to me, though she still avoided the rest of my family...  We were glad when we could return her to her previous owner (she'd been through a rough patch, and didn't want to give her up, and we offered her a place to stay until mom got back on her feet), and she was happy to be reunited! 

I know you'll be as patient as she needs, and eventually, she'll realize you're not all that scary, and then you'll be in trouble!  ;)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
I am here as long as she needs me!

I admit was is so super to see those bright green eyes, and those chunky feet and full tail.  It's a little bit of torture to have such a gorgeous kitty who you don't get to see much!   ;D

She's not as long haired as some, but she's long and sturdy and sure has quite a tail! 

I'll have to buy a new camera one of these days and finally figure out photobucket...but for right now, letting kitty have her space. 

- Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »
Is it stinky like old pee or something else? You may want to check with the vet and the foster, diabetes can cause a change in urine odor.

I play with my shy cats. I get a stick toy with a string and a toy on the end and sit on the floor against the wall and wiggle it around gently. They will usually come out for the toy and warm up sooner.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanks, forky.  Though I was told she might well take a full month to even start to come out of her shell!  She's still quite miffed at me, today...time will tell.  I love her big tail and paws!  Those Maine Coon paws are so chunky!  Maybe I'll see her again, tonight.

I just feed her, rest in the bedroom a bit, and talk to her telling her how much her foster mom loved her and how glad I'm she's with me!

She's not as longhair as some, but still that gorgeous tail, the classic tabby pattern in brown, and those green eyes, even if they don't want to welcome me, yet.  Foster mom said she LOVES lazer pointers and so I found all three of mine.  She would read and play with it and she'd (eventually) go nuts over it.  I did this for my former kitties, too, though while watching movies.

As far as the diabetes, she just had a very throrough check-up in June...I kind of think not so much diabetes.  I understand, but right now it would take a hockey uniform to get her to the vet!  I think we'll see how it goes.  I also am familiar with the particular diabetic smell...I think she's just a little bit stinky!

;D - Raaz.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
P.S.:  Don't think that I'm being irresponsible...just in her fragile transitioning state it's not a super time for big vet visits.  She came with all of her vet records and rabies, FIV/FLV, fecal testing and blood testing records.  She's an only cat with just me, so okay to wait until she settles in, even my vet agreed.  Even her dental was purrrfect!

- Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
I can understand not wanting to freak her out, you could check with the foster and see if they noticed anything unusual. Or if someone you know is a cat person you could ask them what they think of the odor.

Find a string and put it on a stick to play with her, its amazing how it brings them out. She will focus on the toy and not even realize you are there.  Does she have any toys now?

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
Oh, foster mom didn't think anything of the stinkiness and she's a very very smart cat lady!  (As I said, we'll go in when that's possible).  I'm hoping for some possible play over the weekend.  I bought plenty o' toys...have a gigantic (like I seriously can't lift it) locally made cat tree that was barely used.  (She is said to love cat trees).  And have three lazer pointers, which her foster mom said really helped her come out of her shell.  Oh, mom also sent home her favorite cat-fishing toy...a rabbit fur mouse thingie on a string.

Sure we'll be okay.  I am EXTREMELY nice to kitties.  She'll figure it out one of these days!

- Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »
Thats cool about the cat tree.  ;D They are so freaking expensive and difficult to find here except at the chain stores.

I was just wondering if the foster noticed an odor. Im not pushing you to take her to the vet. If the foster noticed it and wasnt concerned then its probably not a problem. It could just be a particular musk you arent used to.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
No, the foster said she was doing fine.  It's honestly probably just a kitty difference.  My last two both had very dilute urine that wasn't really potent (health issues).  She's going to the vet as soon as it's remotely possible!  The vet already knows I adopted her, etc., were references for the adoption.

It's not that TERRIBLY stinky, and is mostly the ammonia smell.  She's on a much higher protein food than my previous cats, too, so I would imagine more possible ammonia smell.  I happen to have a very sensitive sense of smell (ironically, despite sinuses that REALLY don't work!).  I used to be a professional taste tester, it's that acute.

I wonder also if being a Maine Coon makes any difference as they are an older breed...with unknown origins for the most part!

Once I don't need a hockey uniform to get her to the vet, she's going!  I have all of her records here (this really is a very thorough rescue). 

Um...saw her again this morning, albeit she was still giving me the middle finger!   ::)

Ah, time will tell.  Off to get more kitty litter today!

;D - Raaz.

PS, yes the cat tree is so cool.  There is a locally owned store (where I now get the food, too), that has locally made ones.  It cost me a ton, but I happened to have the money at the time.  It's far taller than me and made of heavy duty driftwood and the usual carpet covered stuff.  They delivered it for free because my teeny sub-compact car...it would have taken more than a bit of duct tape to strap that thing on the top!  If ever in Madison, I can give a referral to 'em!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:43:24 AM by Rzrwyre »