Author Topic: Using the litter pan  (Read 2518 times)

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
Using the litter pan
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
How do I get a outside cat to use a litter pan? She is technically a stray been hanging around for a few months, had kittens at the neighbors a few months ago. They are still around, but will be going to a good home and I couldn't bare to see her go, because I adore her. We are slowly getting her used to the house. She takes naps in our house which is huge, but she won't go potty in the pan. We have worlds best cat litter in there. Any tips would be great! She is not spayed either, but we plan to get it done once we get more weight on her :) She is my first cat also and doesn't seem to care about the rats she won't even go in the rat room lol

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Using the litter pan
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
You might try putting some actual dirt in the pan, and slowly transitioning to the World's Best.  The texture is probably totally foreign to her, which is why she's staying away from it.  She doesn't recognize it as a potty place.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
You might try putting some actual dirt in the pan, and slowly transitioning to the World's Best.  The texture is probably totally foreign to her, which is why she's staying away from it.  She doesn't recognize it as a potty place.
This is what we were planning to do and forgot lol. I think the soil was all wet at the time, but I will try that. I have some clay litter I bought too because I really didn't know what to buy. There are so many different litters it will make your head spin lol. Thanks so much!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38:24 PM »
Even starting with the clay might make her more likely to use it, just because it's more dirt-like.  :)  If the outside soil doesn't work, get some potting soil without any added fertilizers.  Granted, that will make a mess of your house...   :confused:

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:52 AM »
Even starting with the clay might make her more likely to use it, just because it's more dirt-like.  :)  If the outside soil doesn't work, get some potting soil without any added fertilizers.  Granted, that will make a mess of your house...   :confused:

Thanks Marybelle! That totally makes sense I will try out the clay first, hopefully it works!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:09:23 AM »
Given I use scoopable unscented, but my kitties would use regular clay or scoopable but the fancy new fangled ones they just hated!  I always also put kitties right in front of it and then paw at it myself.  Maybe put them in it, too.  I guess some kitties never go for it, but that's one way of showing them what it's for.  Sometimes they like the litter BETTER because they can actually cover up their pee or poop with it, whereas outside it's harder to do.  (We had some indoor/outdoor kitties growing up, and they took to plain clay litter pretty darned quickly!)

Best of luck!

- Raaz.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 02:44:13 AM »
We put her in it last week and she sniffed, nibbled then walked out lol. I will keep trying though I know it will be hard for her to adjust from outside which is a huge potty area to a little pan ;)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »
Yeah, maybe just keep showing it to her and pawing at it, yourself.  I always do that with new kitties, to give them the idea of what it's for, though I've not taken in a previously feral cat who didn't already know what litter was for.  I have also (provided they were cooperative) taken the cat and set them IN the litter, and taken their paw in hand and done it...that scratching motion.

Cats are pretty smart about litter, but our oldest siamese (he was about 7 when I was born) never got out of the peeing/pooping outside thing.  If you kept him in too long (despite all of the other kitties...a few at a time who were indoors) he'd just poop in the indoor plants.  (We had big rubber trees and such).

You never know but it doesn't hurt to try!  (And she's so young that I think she'll get the hang of it, eventually!)

I liked the suggestion with the soil, even if it could be messy, for a while.

- Raaz.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 08:57:06 AM »
She did actually pee in it several days ago, but nothing since. She still goes outside so I wonder if that is the issue. I will keep trying and do what you suggest, thanks so much Rzrwyre :)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
She did actually pee in it several days ago, but nothing since. She still goes outside so I wonder if that is the issue. I will keep trying and do what you suggest, thanks so much Rzrwyre :)

Also, not to say you want an unclean litter box, but leaving one pee or poop in it might help at first.  If there is poop somewhere else, you could put it in there and make sure she sees it.  Of course not a dirty box, but just until the instinct kicks in it might help.  (Some kitties are so picky that they won't use a stinky box...it's a fine balance).

- Raaz.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »

Also, not to say you want an unclean litter box, but leaving one pee or poop in it might help at first.  If there is poop somewhere else, you could put it in there and make sure she sees it.  Of course not a dirty box, but just until the instinct kicks in it might help.  (Some kitties are so picky that they won't use a stinky box...it's a fine balance).

- Raaz.
I actually kept it in there just to see if she will go in there again. Maybe I will add more clay in there to see if that would get her more interested. She poops all over my yard, but there are other kitties outside so I would have to follow her to get the right one LOL.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
Good news is that she is going potty in her pan finally. A few days ago hubby finally decided she is staying in for good so she had to use it lol. I just wish for more sleep, she's getting into everything lol. Hopefully that will die down soon though. Thanks for the tips!