Author Topic: How to keep my inside cat inside.  (Read 3050 times)

Offline SchönDers

How to keep my inside cat inside.
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
I've been having a problem with my cat getting outside when my boyfriend opens the front door. My boyfriend is disabled and has an electric door opener that keeps the door open for an allotted amount of time. We have it on the setting where the door closes in the shortest amount of time with him still being able to get out of it, but it's still open long enough for my cat to get out. I have tried spraying vinegar around the door because I read that it might help, and it did until the smell wore off, and I don't want our apartment to constantly smell like vinegar. The only other option I have heard is to get a shock collar, which I'm not even sure is humane. So, any suggestions on how I can keep my kitty inside?

Just to add, I do keep him food and water dish full and his litter box clean, and he has plenty of toys as well.

Offline SchönDers

Re: How to keep my inside cat inside.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
Anybody?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
Could you alter something like this: http://www.theuncommondog.com/Dynamic-Accents-Walk-Through-5-FS-Gate-32-Inches-Tall.aspx

Perhaps you could position the sides on either side of the door and put hardware cloth over the slats to keep the cat from getting through. And I think you'd have to alter the gate so that it could be free standing.

Does this help any?
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
Is he neutered?

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
Is he neutered?

He is. I think his previous owners let him outside all the time, so he's kind of used to it.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
Could you alter something like this: http://www.theuncommondog.com/Dynamic-Accents-Walk-Through-5-FS-Gate-32-Inches-Tall.aspx

Perhaps you could position the sides on either side of the door and put hardware cloth over the slats to keep the cat from getting through. And I think you'd have to alter the gate so that it could be free standing.

Does this help any?

I'm not sure if my boyfriend will maneuver through that either. I could just trap both of them in the apartment.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »

Does this help any?

I'm not sure if my boyfriend will maneuver through that either. I could just trap both of them in the apartment.  :yelcutelaugh:

That could work (trap both)  or work on making the door area offlimit to the cat.   send it away from the door anytime it is near it, eventually they can learn not to go there.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »
When I first got my cats (strays I rescued from outside) I made the door a 'scary thing'. I'd go outside and open the door a little (while kind of hiding behind the wall) and would squirt the cats with a water sprayer if they came near (trying to make it seem like the door was the one squirting them, not me). My cats are also trained to know that me snapping my fingers at them is a bad thing (it used to be followed by a squirt of water lol) so now all I literally have to do if they're too close to the door is snap my fingers and point away from the door and say 'go' in a stern voice and they'll run off in the other direction. Bringing groceries in is no longer a worry, they now stay a good distance away and just wait to say hi until we're all done bringing everything in.

It proved to be very effective in my case. I don't know very many cats who tolerate being squirt by water, but if that doesn't cut it, you could put coins in a jar and shake that loudly every time you come through the door to scare him off as well.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
When I first got my cats (strays I rescued from outside) I made the door a 'scary thing'. I'd go outside and open the door a little (while kind of hiding behind the wall) and would squirt the cats with a water sprayer if they came near (trying to make it seem like the door was the one squirting them, not me). My cats are also trained to know that me snapping my fingers at them is a bad thing (it used to be followed by a squirt of water lol) so now all I literally have to do if they're too close to the door is snap my fingers and point away from the door and say 'go' in a stern voice and they'll run off in the other direction. Bringing groceries in is no longer a worry, they now stay a good distance away and just wait to say hi until we're all done bringing everything in.

It proved to be very effective in my case. I don't know very many cats who tolerate being squirt by water, but if that doesn't cut it, you could put coins in a jar and shake that loudly every time you come through the door to scare him off as well.

I might have to try this. My cat was a stray, too. He was wandering around my apartment complex and I assumed he was one of the feral cats that are always hanging around, but he was really friendly. But I was also thinking about getting this so my boyfriend can use it when he comes in the door since he can't spray the spray bottle: http://www.amazon.com/K-Ii-Enterprises-Pet-Agree-Training-Ultrasonic/dp/B0006NEDA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349027514&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+training+devices

Whenever I take him outside on a harness, I purposefully avoid that door because I don't want him getting used to going in and out of it (at first, he didn't realize it was a door. lol). And when I take him out the other door, I carry him so he doesn't get any ideas about going out on his own. So hopefully, this will make him not want to go out the front door anymore.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »

I might have to try this. My cat was a stray, too. He was wandering around my apartment complex and I assumed he was one of the feral cats that are always hanging around, but he was really friendly. But I was also thinking about getting this so my boyfriend can use it when he comes in the door since he can't spray the spray bottle: http://www.amazon.com/K-Ii-Enterprises-Pet-Agree-Training-Ultrasonic/dp/B0006NEDA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349027514&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+training+devices

Whenever I take him outside on a harness, I purposefully avoid that door because I don't want him getting used to going in and out of it (at first, he didn't realize it was a door. lol). And when I take him out the other door, I carry him so he doesn't get any ideas about going out on his own. So hopefully, this will make him not want to go out the front door anymore.

Could he shake the jar with coins? Try and be there as much as you can to be the squirter when your boyfriend goes through the door, at least in the beginning stages of training. I have no experience with an ultrasonic device, so I can't really comment on that.

And good idea about going through a different door when you want to bring kitty outside! We actually do that with my female when we bring her out on a harness. We go through the door on the screened porch (one that we personally never use) so she still is never allowed through the front door. Animals don't understand 'exceptions' very well so it's important to be consistent in training.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:10:43 PM by Sidders »

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
Why take him out on a harness?  Teaching him he goes outside out of a carrier will give him more reason to try to go outside.   

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
This might sound terrible, but if you can help when your hubby goes out (at least at first) I would recommend the squirt bottle of plain water.  But also, you could keep a clean broom there and JUST use it gently to provide a barrier and a "scoot" if you need to.

I've always had one SERIOUS "NO!" word...it's supposed to be Russian (from my grandma) but I won't spell it right!  The ONLY time I say it is serious "NO" times and the kitties, all of my life, will usually look up at me like, "Sorry dad!"  (It's supposed to mean "horned toad" and I have no idea how that one caught on!)  Maybe you can find a SERIOUS "NO" word that is very unique. 

Good luck!

- Raaz.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »
Why take him out on a harness?  Teaching him he goes outside out of a carrier will give him more reason to try to go outside.

I usually take him outside at least once every day to give him some exercise, because he doesn't get much inside. He loves going out, I just want him to avoid going out the front door. Also, after I take him out on the harness, he seems less obsessed with going out the front door, which is the door I don't want him going out.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »

Could he shake the jar with coins? Try and be there as much as you can to be the squirter when your boyfriend goes through the door, at least in the beginning stages of training. I have no experience with an ultrasonic device, so I can't really comment on that.

And good idea about going through a different door when you want to bring kitty outside! We actually do that with my female when we bring her out on a harness. We go through the door on the screened porch (one that we personally never use) so she still is never allowed through the front door. Animals don't understand 'exceptions' very well so it's important to be consistent in training.

I don't think he could. He has Muscular Dystrophy so his hands and arms are weak. I'm not even sure if he could press the button on the ultrasonic device, but we could always try it out.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
This might sound terrible, but if you can help when your hubby goes out (at least at first) I would recommend the squirt bottle of plain water.  But also, you could keep a clean broom there and JUST use it gently to provide a barrier and a "scoot" if you need to.

I've always had one SERIOUS "NO!" word...it's supposed to be Russian (from my grandma) but I won't spell it right!  The ONLY time I say it is serious "NO" times and the kitties, all of my life, will usually look up at me like, "Sorry dad!"  (It's supposed to mean "horned toad" and I have no idea how that one caught on!)  Maybe you can find a SERIOUS "NO" word that is very unique. 

Good luck!

- Raaz.

I wouldn't be home every time he leaves, because I'm in class all day. As for finding an inventive way to say "No," I think I could do that. I think I could do German, it's a scary enough language.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »
You know, I think I totally agree with the German.  My best friend's mom growing up was German and when she got mad she cussed at us in German and we ALL got in line!  Even the word for "pancake" might do it!  My word is pronounced "ru-pu-schef" (though considering she grew up in a very mixed ethnicity neighborhood...who knows if that's even a real word or Russian for that matter!)  But they do know that's the ONE serious "no" word!

- Raaz.