Author Topic: kitten with struvite crystals  (Read 4081 times)

Offline danadu6

kitten with struvite crystals
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
As stated in my previous post, http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4098411.0 my foster kitten who is only 5 months old has struvite crystals. The vet want to put him on a RX diet for this. They were nice enough to give me a bag of Royal Canin Urinary SO that was donated. Does anyone have any input/advice?  I really worry about his potentail to get adopted now.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: kitten with struvite crystals
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »
I'm impressed they wanted to put him on something other than Science Diet!

Honestly, with something that's diet controlled, I'm not certain it will hurt his chances of getting adopted.  There are usually people out there looking to take the "unadoptable" animals.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
Yeah, I know! Actually this vet office has no science diet items at all in the clinic. It worries me do to the fact that it is super expensive! I live in a very small area (7,000 population) so that is another issue.  Im sad that this is the case when he is soooo young! I have never delt with this type of issue in a cat/kitten. Wish there was an alternative.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
My Mom's pom has to eat the SO Royal Canin for the same issue, and we've found that it's actually cheaper to buy it from a Petsmart that has Banfield than getting it from the vet. By a pretty chunk too.

The bags are bigger, so it hurts more in the short term, but it works out. If you don't free-feed that will help a lot too.

I don't think something that is as easily controlled as struviate crystals would hurt adoption chances, and in fact may strengthen them! It's like...having three-legs. Enough of a disability to inspire sympathy, but not requiring crazy medications, or ultimately shortening lifespan.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I also wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're upfront with potential adopters. Something so easily controlled shouldn't be a deterrent. Royal Canin is expensive, but it's honestly not THAT expensive for an animal that isn't going to eat a pound a day. It's a good quality food and I would think anyone prepared to adopt a cat will be responsible enough to understand how important it is.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:34:06 AM »
I did use the Rx versions, but used Royal Canin (it's what my vets usually use) for my older boy who had many issues, and my girl with early kidney disease.  It's a rich enough food that it really wasn't a huge burden on finances.  I'd either pick it up from the vet (because I like them, try to give them business) or the petsmart where Banfield kept a copy of my Rx for those weeks I just couldn't make it to the vet.  It really lasted a long time.

It's entirely possible that it might help.  I just adopted a kitty who eats pretty darned expensive food, but it's also very rich and so she doesn't have to go through it so quickly.  A lot of us wouldn't think twice.  (I honestly go out and buy cat food on payday before my own groceries!) 

Good luck, - Raaz.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
Thanks all for the positive thoughts! We do not have a Petsmart locally, but there is one about 1 hour away.  Now the issues of getting him to eat his food and his sisters to eat theirs. Any tips?  I've tried seperate rooms this AM. But it seems that all 3 prefer to eat next to each other. It will be easier during the week, as I still have to keep Tommy in a different room for 2 weeks while the girls spays heal. I feel more confident about his ablility to be adopted thanks to all of you!! 

Offline Sidders

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:57 PM »
I'm not crazy about Royal Canin, but my male was put on the SO as well. He had terrible crystals, and we had to go in numerous times for antibiotics to clear up UTIs. The crystals had thickened his bladder wall from irritating it and he was peeing blood a lot. Finally, I gave in and bought the Rx food.

I asked my vet how in the world I was supposed to keep my female from eating his food, and vice versa, and he said to just put them all on it. So I did. It does get a little expensive -- I buy the 17lb. bag for $54 and that lasts me almost 2 months with 3 cats -- so it's not terribly bad. My cats are all really healthy and I give them a higher quality wet food in the evenings. An important thing is to try and make sure he's drinking. I've learned a lot of tricks to get my cats to drink a little more often. They seem to like a lukewarm water, rather than cold. I'll also offer water to them from my cup, since it's something I've got therefore they must have it. :cheeky:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 11:15:14 PM »
Sidders...that's so funny!  I have NO glasses made of glass anymore because my kitties always had to have them and knock them over.  Great kitty fun, I'm sure!  We had a persian who would only drink out of a huge glass goblet on the kitchen table.  He looked so pretty doing it.  Kitties!   :doh:

Offline danadu6

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
Well a new development I think.... Last night ne peed on my bed. But it was alot of urine, not the tiny amounts that he has been going. I hope that means the food is working??  I put about 1/4 cup of warm water mixed with a little food about 3-4 times a day and he drinks all of the water. So thats good. Now off to wash all my bedding.  :doh:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
Oh no on the bedding, but at least his pee-er is working!   ::) - Raaz.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Considering I was like a flood! He uses the litter box fine normally and has all day today so I am hoping it was just the food kicking in and everything kind of caught him by suprise?!?   

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say that that's the food working. :) I have chronic kidney stones, but not struvite stones. When there are lots of crystal or stones, it's hard to urinate, no matter how bad you want to. Once the dissolve/breakup/pass, it really is like a flood.  :yelcutelaugh: And speaking from my own experience, with chronic stones, there can be a "Surprise! You have to pee!" moment sometimes. It seems to make it harder to hold it in. So he may be experiencing that issue, as well.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say that that's the food working. :) I have chronic kidney stones, but not struvite stones. When there are lots of crystal or stones, it's hard to urinate, no matter how bad you want to. Once the dissolve/breakup/pass, it really is like a flood.  :yelcutelaugh: And speaking from my own experience, with chronic stones, there can be a "Surprise! You have to pee!" moment sometimes. It seems to make it harder to hold it in. So he may be experiencing that issue, as well.

Oh, I understand!  I peed myself while laying on the floor of the lobby of the dorm in which I lived in college!  I'd tried to go to class and just layed around there groaning for a couple of hours, and BAM!  Oops!  (Yes, kidney stones).

Just show him the litter again and stuff, paw around in it and hope his pee-er is working out alright!

;D - Raaz.

PS, sorry that was gross, but true!

Offline danadu6

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
Well based on that info, im goning to go with "it was a flood and I could not help it" moment for him. He has not had that happen again so far. He is in the litter box several times, but it seems he is producing larger amounts of urine (larger than the quarter size amounts). He seems happy and active. He is not to thrilled about having to put into a room to eat, but he will just have to deal for now. His sisters want his food and he wants their food.  :doh:  :D

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
I have a boy with urinary issues. He was on 50/regular food and 50/ royal canin urinary SO. He was on it for a year and I decided to take him off of the 50/50 mix for only a month and all hell broke loose and I have been battling bloody urine for a couple months.

Thing is, they cant actually see the crystals but since it seems to be affected by the food we can only assume it is helping. He has had x-rays and the bladder was clear. Good thing about the x rays though as his heart was full of 1" of fluid and it was sitting on his sternum.  :worry:

As far as feeding all the cats in the house all 8 of my cats get the food, 9 if you count the stray that gets fed too. Its expensive but not much more expensive than their regular food. In a few months I will try a 50/50 mix again for now its 100% urinary SO food.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »
Well.... Tommy has been producing very small amounts of pee again. Some times he tries to pee and nothing comes out. Also has been doing the pee stand in the living room, which is what he was doing the first time all of this started. I think I was able to crush up any crystals in his urethra manually and he is producing a little more pee now. If the food is not helping him, what else is there besides surgery?  Any help would be great! 

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »
I dont know anything about blockages. I think they remove the dangly bit and make him kind of a girl if they perform surgery. However they probably have other things to try, My vet did an xray.

Have you talked to your vet recently, cats can die within 48 hours if they become blocked. It ruins their kidneys. I had that happen way back before the internets and the cat actually had to be PTS because there was nothing they could do.

If you are unsure about what the vet says you can always get a second opinion.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
I have been doing some research and I think I am going to try a supplement from wysong. http://www.wysong.net/products/ph-dog-cat-supplement.php    I really hope that this in combination with his Rx food will do the trick.  Anyone have any experience with this product?   

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
I know I said before, so sorry...but that dangly bit surgery is normally not as expensive as what you were quoted.  It's, however gross and all, not really that complicated.  They just usually cut the thing in half and then remove part of it, sew the rest down so the urine has a good place to go down.  I would be hard pressed to think over 500 bucks.  I know that sounds strange, but maybe call around.

Good luck with the foods.

- Raaz.

Sorry for the modify, but I couldn't help and call my vet.  She says that probably the modified food is good for the girls, too, as they are related (though girls don't as often show symptoms).

In terms of price for the surgery, it would well more than likely be less than a thousand dollars, and they estimated (for there) about 500-600 with pain meds and such.  They would need to do an exam first which would be 57 bucks and I know it's Madison, but if you want their contact info, do PM, etc...I'll be online a fair amount this weekend.  (They are open only until 12PM or 1PM I forget, today).

Best,

Raaz.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:24:08 AM by Rzrwyre »

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
I have been doing some research and I think I am going to try a supplement from wysong. http://www.wysong.net/products/ph-dog-cat-supplement.php    I really hope that this in combination with his Rx food will do the trick.  Anyone have any experience with this product?

You need to be very careful adding anythng to the script food. Talk to your vet. Maake sure its crystals and not an infection. My boy is currently on his second round of antibiotics. Orbax works well, is tolerated well and easy to give. I dont remember where I read it exactly but too much acid can hurt the cat and cause other issues.

Homeo-pet has some good products. I havent used the urinary stuff but the anxiety stuff works very well.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
Sorry that it has been awhile since I have been online. I was stuck in bed with a terrible case of bronchitis. Tommy has been doing ok. Have talked to his normal vet and she wants to do a full urine work up in about a week (1 month after his first issue) and we will go from there.  The sex change surgery would be $600.00. She said it could be something as simple as inflamation that he may grow out of. Once he goes in and gets his urine fully examined in about a week we should know more.  She also said he should not be neutered until he is more developed, 10 months at the earliest.
He is eating, drinking, and playing well... often getting into normal kitten trouble.  :)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
Im surprised at the waiting until 10 mos for boys. Ive had them start spraying at 5-6 mos and usually neuter them between 4-5 mos, as soon as the dangly bits show up and ripen a bit.

Did she specify what is the adverse effect if you do it before 10 mos? Also, they can get females preggo at 5-6 mos and want to be little boys and get out of the house if they can smell or hear a female in heat which also leads to marking.

I try to get girls before their first heat but not sooner than 5 mos. Their first heat is usually around 6 mos.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
They are recommending he not get fixed until a later age due to his issues and hope that letting him develope more will help. His sisters are spayed already.

Offline danadu6

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
Just got back from the vets with Tommy. His urine showed no crystals. They put him on Prazosin to hopfully help with his peeing trouble. They think it may just be something he will grow out of. Really hoping this is the solution.