Author Topic: Surgery on butt?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Surgery on butt?
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
My little girl has a bump on her butt, right above her sphincter. It started out pea size, we had it evaluated and they said it was just an abnormal growth of cells, and we should have it removed, but it was likely nothing. Well, money was tight, so since it wasn't priority, we stalled. It's a bit bigger now (Moreso when she's hot or stressed), about the size of a small grape.

Well, money is much better now and I'm taking her in for a consult next week to see about getting it removed, as well as biopsying the lump.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a dog with a surgery in such a spot? I'm worried she's going to bust stitches when she potties. I'm sure the vet will give us lots of info, but firsthand accounts really help, as well.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Surgery on butt?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:01:55 PM »
This is a species change...and I have no idea if helpful:

My grrrly kitty had...something going on in a similar spot.  We couldn't figure out what it was.  (It didn't look like a heamorroid) so kept an eye on it.  It did go away.  I have no idea why.

I can't help with the stiches thing near the bum!  I would worry about that, too!  One just has to poop!  Maybe, it might make sense to give...Lactulose solution for a couple of days before and a while after.  It is kind of like DSS for people...it softens and just is pretty mild.  You might get diarrhea in a fit animal, but probably better coming out than forcing out and staying painful.  Just ask your doc in advance if they think it sounds like a good idea.

Best of luck!

- Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:12:27 PM »
My dog had a dangling cyst between her tail and her anus. Normally back on the farm my uncle would have tied a string to it until it died and fell off. lol  We had hers removed and she didnt have any issues going potty but she has always had real soft stools anyway. It wasnt cancer but she did have cancer removed on her paw, the incision for it wasnt very large and was never a problem.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
Well. She has surgery scheduled for the 18th. They don't like the area either, but said it shouldn't be an incredibly difficult surgery. Here's hoping.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
Oh, good luck.  Butt problems suck!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »
In my human care profressions, we just always say "better out than in!"  I'd still ask about the lactulose!  It could result in diarrhea, but that's easier than forcing something out and busting stitches!