Author Topic: Folding cat window ledge/shelf?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Caresmom5

Folding cat window ledge/shelf?
« on: October 06, 2012, 06:36:01 PM »
Hello. I have been searching for a window shelf/bed thing for my cats. I really want one that can fold down against the wall for when I want to pull the drapes and not have huge bumps, or just want them out of the way for a bit without having to remove and store them somewhere. I've not been able to find any that fold however. I'd love to make one, but don't know what hinge hardware to use that would lock safely in place when the shelf is up and has a cat on it. Just thought I'd see if anyone here has figured this problem out already. Thanks!!
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Folding cat window ledge/shelf?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:32 PM »
You may be able to find locking hinges at the warehouse store or online. You want to pay attention to the weight they can handle or you wont be able to get them released to go down.

This is another option. Search for instructions for a fold away kitchen table. Heres a pic for an idea of how it would work.   Link to it on ikea. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80091713/   

Offline Caresmom5

Re: Folding cat window ledge/shelf?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
Thank you!! That option looks great...gonna give it a try :)
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.