Author Topic: Vegan foods ok for cats  (Read 3105 times)

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
Vegan foods ok for cats
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
I am a vegan, but my cat is not. Are there any foods that are vegan that I can give as treats?

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Vegan foods ok for cats
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »
Cats are "obligate carnivores."  They might eat a little catnip or grass...probably to help with hairballs and such, maybe some nutrients, but...

I would not look for vegan stuff for cats.

People can be omnivores, or vegan but kitties are really mostly supposed to eat meat.  While they might chomp houseplants now and then, they don't even have (at least normally) "sweet" taste receptors which make carbohydrates (starches and sugars) taste good.  They probably go for the occasional greens either for just digestion issues or for some craving for minerals and such that our processed foods don't provide.  (Or...maybe they are just fun to chomp ;D)

Sorry for the rant, but since they are obligate carnivores...I really say not to try with vegan treats.  They just don't have the metabolism/digestive systems for them.  (I was almost a complete vegetarian for 14 or so years...but I didn't do it with my kitties.  I still MOSTLY eat not much meat).

Good luck.  Keep your little one healthy.

- Raaz.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »
Whoa that was a smackdown! I do know that cats are carnivores that is why I said my cat is not! I am not one of those vegans that is going to force a vegan diet on them. I'm looking for foods that I can feed her that are not meat based so I don't have to touch them. I will google it instead  ::)

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
We're vegans with a non-vegan cat too. :)  I feel like the easiest way to do treats is to buy some vegan cat food (Evolution, Wysong, or Vegecat) and feed it as treats. One bag will last forever!

Our cat also loves cucumbers, olives, and some other veggies. Try olive juice on your fingers or letting them roll an olive around. It's hilarious! We hate olives, too, so we keep a supply just for the cat.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
If I read correctly you are feeding a meat food and asking for vegan treats?

Its actually a good thing for cats to get some greens. You can try other cooked veggies but check for safety, onions and garlic are toxic to cats I dont know what else. I havent noticed vegan treats so the only thing i can offer is to avoid soy proteins if you do find a vegan treat. I had some treats that were mostly greens but I would bet they had chicken in them somewhere.

As far as feeding greens I used to feed cat, wheat or oat grass. Its been a while and cant remember which is better.

What I did was because I have crackheads and they would pull the grass and soil out was to get a quart plastic pot that didnt tip easily, filled it with large rocks for weight and 3" of organic potting soil.

To keep the dirt and roots in the container I used plastic embroidery sheets, washed them well, drilled holes around the top of the pot, cut the plastic to size and then zip tied the mesh to the pot, after putting the grass and soil in it. The grass grows up through the holes in the plastic embroidery sheets. You can also grow the grass outside and cut some and bring it in.

What I often do is feed them organic spring salad mix. If you use outdoor grass make sure that where you live it isnt sprayed with chemicals.

Note: I have not researched the safety of the ingredients in the organic spring mix. Cats can be made sick by certain plants. I dont feed it more than 4 times a month because they usually use the grass from outside. I keep forgetting to look up whats in the mix when I have it.

OUt of 8 cats 6 eat the spring mix and greens. I also have a cat that steals veggies off the counter but he just chews on them and doesnt eat them.  :doh:

I find it difficult to believe after seeing how excited my cats get about grass and greens to think that it doesn't belong in their diet as a supplement to meat. However I will not feed foods that add tomatoes, blueberries, cranberries or sweet potatoes etc.. After researching those types of ingredients I feel they add no value to the diet and some cause harm and will not feed those foods. I use pet guard chicken.

Frank stealing a yellow squash

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude.  Honestly, I've just been sick and out of sorts!  Of course of of those spouting kitty grasses and random weird things are probably fine!  I never heard of kitties liking olives!  It's true, you said that your kitty wasn't a vegan!

I think I reacted so much because I knew someone who tried to keep their cat on a vegan diet and it ended badly.  Very sad to see, actually. 

Oh, forky, I just saw that yellow squash and that's a hoot!

My kitties seemed to get high off of carrots, though they didn't really eat them.  I used to munch them a lot after work...set it down somewhere...then find it seriously like a month later in some closet or something.  They'd roll around and them.  I never found out why they liked carrots so much!

Crazydaisy, I'm truly sorry if I offended.  I didn't mean to.  I probably should have just been sleeping!  Seriously probably half of the people I've been partnered with have been vegan or vegitarian.  Go vegans!   ;D

- Raaz.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:14:49 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »
We're vegans with a non-vegan cat too. :)  I feel like the easiest way to do treats is to buy some vegan cat food (Evolution, Wysong, or Vegecat) and feed it as treats. One bag will last forever!

Our cat also loves cucumbers, olives, and some other veggies. Try olive juice on your fingers or letting them roll an olive around. It's hilarious! We hate olives, too, so we keep a supply just for the cat.
That is a great idea thanks so much for the tip on the vegan cat food. The olives sound hilarious I will have to give her one  :D

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
If I read correctly you are feeding a meat food and asking for vegan treats?

Its actually a good thing for cats to get some greens. You can try other cooked veggies but check for safety, onions and garlic are toxic to cats I dont know what else. I havent noticed vegan treats so the only thing i can offer is to avoid soy proteins if you do find a vegan treat. I had some treats that were mostly greens but I would bet they had chicken in them somewhere.

As far as feeding greens I used to feed cat, wheat or oat grass. Its been a while and cant remember which is better.

What I did was because I have crackheads and they would pull the grass and soil out was to get a quart plastic pot that didnt tip easily, filled it with large rocks for weight and 3" of organic potting soil.

To keep the dirt and roots in the container I used plastic embroidery sheets, washed them well, drilled holes around the top of the pot, cut the plastic to size and then zip tied the mesh to the pot, after putting the grass and soil in it. The grass grows up through the holes in the plastic embroidery sheets. You can also grow the grass outside and cut some and bring it in.

What I often do is feed them organic spring salad mix. If you use outdoor grass make sure that where you live it isnt sprayed with chemicals.

Note: I have not researched the safety of the ingredients in the organic spring mix. Cats can be made sick by certain plants. I dont feed it more than 4 times a month because they usually use the grass from outside. I keep forgetting to look up whats in the mix when I have it.

OUt of 8 cats 6 eat the spring mix and greens. I also have a cat that steals veggies off the counter but he just chews on them and doesnt eat them.  :doh:

I find it difficult to believe after seeing how excited my cats get about grass and greens to think that it doesn't belong in their diet as a supplement to meat. However I will not feed foods that add tomatoes, blueberries, cranberries or sweet potatoes etc.. After researching those types of ingredients I feel they add no value to the diet and some cause harm and will not feed those foods. I use pet guard chicken.
Correct she is on a meat based diet. I did read you can try some cooked veggies like carrots, broccoli & green beans.
I was wondering about wheatgrass, because I have a ton of seeds. My rats and bunny like them also so she will have to share. Is that the same as cat grass you see in the pet stores?
The plastic canvas is a brilliant idea though thanks for the tip.
I love those pics lol.
Thanks so much for the great info I really appreciate it :)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
Wheat grass is fine so is Oat. I think cat grass is a mix of both. When you grow it for your bunny does you cat ever try to eat it?

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:01:27 AM »
I also had a kitty who tried to steal my pickles all of time, though I don't think they are a good idea!

;D - Raaz.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
Olives!   Try it if you have. My Mitzi went nuts over an olive.  I never Knew, till we put a empty jar in the trash and she over night got it out of the bin and drewled all over the lid.  After that we bought olives and Mitzi got her one/two olives a week.  She said, "YUM".    :yelcutelaugh:

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
some vegan foods my cats have enjoyed for treats include:
cooked canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) this is actually something people can add to a cat's wet food if the cat is constipated, but I've had a couple of cats who liked it even plain, that or winter squash like butternut, buttercup etc.

corn! especially this one cat who was raised on the old Purina cat chow which was loaded with corn (not sure what they make it with now, the cat I have now gets food with meat as the first ingredient)

spaghetti with sauce, but only if she steals it LOL

um that's about it, most of my cats have preferred cat food and cat treats more than any kind of people food

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
Yay!  They say kitties don't have carbohydrate taste buds, but after the WEIRD pastries and stuff, I'm not so sure! 

Back way in the day (when I was a kid and no internet) we had a siamese who stole garlic (which I know is bad for them now) and (NOT vegan) bacon right out of the frying pan! 

Kittens (oh, there were four of them) who raided the fridge for almost anything...so hard to get them all out at one time.  We would set the kitchen/egg timer for 3 minutes and then they were chilly enough to actually come out.  (That sounds terrible, doesn't it?)

;D - Raaz.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »
No worries Raaz ;)

We gave her a olive the other day she went nutso with it lol. Though she wouldn't eat it only batting it around, but it was fun to watch  :yelcutelaugh:
We did give her a little spoon of squash baby food the other day, she really enjoyed that.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
I swear by squash baby food for ratties.  I would be hard pressed to actually remember how many rats I've had (not as many as many members) but always just snarfed the stuff up!   ;D

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:34:35 AM »
We have 11 rat boys and when I share any kind of baby food with them they go nutso. I can't put a dish in there or they will throw it down the ramp and make a mess so I have to stand there with a spoon lol.