Author Topic: Scruffing...  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Scruffing...
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:07:32 PM »
Long story short, I've been told that my new girly kitty will NEED to be scruffed in order to groom...when she adjusts a bit.

I've tried this a few times but never done it with other cats, really, and probably I was doing it wrong or something as it sure didn't work.

Any tips?  (Foster mom even showed me and yet I still have not idea what I'm doing!)

- Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Scruffing...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
Its the area at the back of the neck where it meets the shoulders, a little bit of both. You can find anything on youtube. There is a video out there where some vet techs use a hair clip to immobilize a cat. I dont think its the right thing to do but it will give you the idea of where to hold.

That said... I was taught the only way to cut a cats claws was to burrito them. I got wiser in my old age and just plop them on the bathroom counter, put my left arm over their shoulders and hold the paw Im working on and clip with my right.

Some squirm a bit and when they start getting upset I let them go. They eventually quit getting upset and we can finish all at once. Except for panic stricken Frank. I get 3 clipped and he has had enough, he is better if he has been sleeping.

My point is you might try short grooming sessions (keep track of the side you did) instead of tormenting the cat for the whole ordeal. 

I have to do this with Frank, he tolerates enough to get one side done. He WILL bite...for as cute as he is and he is a love but he will bite when he has had enough brushing. He actually bit my arm to the bone the first time I brushed him. Now I do a side, watch his tail and when he gets worked up I let him go and do the other side the next day.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:20 AM »
Experiment. See what works for you. Scruffing the cat continuously is going to likely cause some trust issues. The rescue cat I had while with my ex was a persian. Lots of grooming. Scruffing traumatized him. Instead, we did as forky said, short grooming sessions. We found positions that worked for him. Better than making him hate grooming more.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »
Yeah, I saw that video.  I thought that was kind of mean!

I don't everything that people tell me to, though IF, maybe, whatever. 

I've mostly been the house groomer since I was a kiddo (no offense to mom, but she got long haired cats but wasn't much of a groomer!)  Last boy kitty would bite the brush, luckily not me!  Being lucky with almost no undercoat, it hardly mattered that we didn't groom much.  And we'd do that three toenails at a time thing and when I took him to the vet, I just let them get a really short do on them.  Girlly was fine with it which was good...that explosive yet short undercoat.

They don't think that many people groomed Sophie as a kiddo.

Oh...the funniest thing about Zippy was really the only was she liked to be picked up...or have toenails done (which she didn't mind) was literally on her back like a baby!  I think maybe not so much for Sophie!

Hey, worst case scenario, I can have someone else help.  I've just never done the scruffing thing, really.  I think for some kitties it works and is okay, but my mind likens it to holding roosters upside down.  Funny thing is that when I had a farmer friend try to show me how well that worked, it totally DIDN'T work!   ::)

Thanks for the advice.  All chime in if more input.

- Raaz.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »
For my Blind Cat, scruffing was a several times a day activity until she hit her year mark. The reason being that I would scruff her and gently drag her anywhere she wanted to be, but didn't truly know about, or take her to somewhere she needed to know about, such as the new location of her food and water dishes. Because this happened daily and had a positive reason behind it she was fine with scruffing.

As for grooming a pissy, or sensitive kitty, I guess it depends on the individual. For Blindy I would sit with her in my lap, let her know my grooming tools were nearby, and then rub her down until she was completely relaxed. It may take a bit longer, but I prefer to work with a relaxed cat. Once she is purring like crazy, eye sockets closed, I pick up my brush or nail clippers and begin very slowly. I find that even a cat who is comfortable with shorter grooming sessions is more likely to allow  itself to be groomed a bit longer if they learn to think of the tools used positively.

Good luck with your kitty.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I think I'm not terribly confident about doing it.  Um...it could be a VERY long time before she accepts it much.  I haven't even pet my kitty yet, so go figure!   ::)

Foster mom said to her it wasn't particularly traumatizing...if done right she really does just go limp.  And that kitty does have some hair, so at some point SOMEONE is gonna have to groom her.  (Foster mom is a terribly nice person, so inclined to trust her).

I guess we'll just see how it goes for another week or two...but then some grooming will be essential.

Maybe I'll research it more, too and try to find more videos.  I'm a hands-on learner...my vet usually has a resident kitty or two (fosters) so maybe they can help me learn if it looks like I need to.  I know they know how to do it well!  We'll see I guess!

- Raaz.