Author Topic: Hanging solutions  (Read 10033 times)

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
Hanging solutions
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
I have a cage (the Aventura) which is similar to the CN except it only has 1 door on each level and not so many places to hang stuff. I'd like to hang stuff under the shelves only there's no grid or hooks or anything to hang from. The middle level has a very large grid aswell so there's only two possible hanging places, which really isn't conducive to creative decorating.

Anyone any ideas to solve this? I thought about cubes like the ones in C+C cages but they're so difficult to find over here that anywhere you do find them charges extortionate prices so I need another solution and I'm sure amongst you fabulous people a solution is to be found!
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline Lynke

• <3
Re: Hanging solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
Maybe attaching harware cloth or chicken wire under the shelves would help.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
What about old cage panels? Or one of those impossibly tiny small animal playpens that wouldn't hold a hamster in for five minutes? lol I have one here that got donated and that's what I intend to do with it - use the panels for  patching or whatever creative project comes along. Can you find a cheap used bird cage to take apart?

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »
Maybe attaching harware cloth or chicken wire under the shelves would help.

Ooo, hardware cloth is a great idea!

Offline Bruxey

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »
If you can't do the hardware cloth maybe a few rows of light chain draped, then you could hang stuff from that?  I did something like that in my kitchen where I was having trouble with hanging utensils and it worked great.  Chain is usually pretty cheap at any hardware store, I got it for like $0.40 per foot, and the connector chain pieces, to attach it to the cage bars, are only a few cents a piece. 

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
Those are all fabulous ideas!
I think I'll try them all out and see what works best for them- thanks :D
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline Lynke

• <3
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
Best of luck :D

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
When I was using a cage that only had 2 places to attach something, I bought one of those 1/2" wire grid paper organizers. I got like 20 of them for $1.50 at a thrift and they're like $1 each new at most places. I attached them with zip ties. They serve double purpose- they have space underneath the grid to hang things, as well as 2 sides with spaces for rants to get into. I sewed a 6-layer pad for it to protect rattie feet from the holes but still lets me hang. I use them even now, you can hang several of them under eachother and hang from the ceiling to make a swinging playhouse. You can attach FN/CN ladders to them, or the wooden bird ladders as well. I will grab a photo for you!

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:04:47 AM »
When I was using a cage that only had 2 places to attach something, I bought one of those 1/2" wire grid paper organizers. I got like 20 of them for $1.50 at a thrift and they're like $1 each new at most places. I attached them with zip ties. They serve double purpose- they have space underneath the grid to hang things, as well as 2 sides with spaces for rants to get into. I sewed a 6-layer pad for it to protect rattie feet from the holes but still lets me hang. I use them even now, you can hang several of them under eachother and hang from the ceiling to make a swinging playhouse. You can attach FN/CN ladders to them, or the wooden bird ladders as well. I will grab a photo for you!

Sorry for the wait, the baby needed to be put to bed.

These are what I'm talking about. They're pretty generic and I've found them at EVERY thrift store I've ever been to! If you only have 2 places to hang, attach the rings two long on each corner, then join them with another ring and hang from there. It'll be more wobbly but the rats never minded. It was a popular place to sleep, and gives space under to hang something.