Author Topic: Curry Kitty, abscess care  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Curry Kitty, abscess care
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
My Curry kitty appears to have an abscess on her left hind leg, pretty much just above the.... elbow?

She is unfortunately an indoor/outdoor kitty so it may have came from anything. She's our fighter and is constantly getting into fights with other cats in our neighborhood. She's completely up to date on shots so that's not to big of a concern. I just found it on her and I am planning on calling the vet first thing in the morning. 

I check her out every night so it must have swollen up quickly and has already come to a very ugly head. I want to clean it up a bit and rinse it out. I know basic abscess care but I have never had to do so on cat.
Does any one have any suggestions?

(it's not warm to the touch, but it is very red, looks like a puncture wound, is fairly deep, and is oozy.  It's still open at this point, and I'd like to keep it that way, at least until the vet gets a look at it and gives me further advice)

Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Curry Kitty, abscess care
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
Abscess care is pretty much the same, no matter the species.  Getting her to the vet is a good idea, but in the meantime, a warm water soak (maybe with some salt) isn't a bad idea, if she'll tolerate it.  That's the hard part with cats.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
Avoid anything with Benzalkonium chloride its toxic to cats, triclosan antibacterial wash is not good either.

In the meantime you can use a chlorhexidine wash on the wound but most people dont have it. If you dont have that to use then do what Marybelle said. Avoid any antibiotic in a petroleum base  because it can clog the abscess. You can use an antibiotic cream but check the ingredients for safety and avoid anything that reduces pain ie numbs the skin.

I get chlorhexidine from my vet in the non sudsy form for irrigating wounds. With 8 indoor cats I still manage to need it. My big boy bent a screen out of the window trying to get to a stray cat and ended up with deep bites on his scruff. The chlorhexidine kept him from getting an infection but it couldnt stop the respiratory infection he got from the cat and we ended up at the vet anyway. I also keep it because Frank bites and it keeps me from having to go to the doctor every time he takes a chunk out of me.  ::)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
I was just going to use saline solution to wash out the abscess, seeing as how it is currently not to warm, swollen, or inflamed. It is still a bit red today, but not to bad at all. It's still oozy.
I tried to wash it out last night and it was pretty much a disaster. She's a bigger cat and really muscular.  I tried burritoing her, scruffing her, having my husband hold her while I sprayed soaked/sprayed her in the kitchen sink.

Now she refuses to come out of the bedroom and our arms look like hamburger.
Does anyone have any suggestions as how to hold her to get her rinsed out?

I called  our vet today who basically told us to keep it clean and open. Watch for infection (smell, heat, redness) and do what we are doing. She doesn't feel that Curry needs antibiotics or anything because of her overall good health and that it should heal on it is own. If it's not looking better in a few days she'll take a look at it.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
What did you use that you are rinsing out? Saline is great, I forget about it now that I have the chlorhexidine but always keep some on hand for rinsing eyes out.

If your vet is close ask if you can pick up some chlorhexedine. When dilluted with water it doesnt need to be rinsed off.

One of my girls spay incision came open and got horribly infected. I used chlorhexedine and irrigated the gaping opening of her skin, fortunately her abdominal wall stayed closed.

To irrigate or rinse I took a plastic shower curtain and put it on the floor with a towel on top and did it that way. My husband held her arms up and I poured or squirted the area.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
I used a mild antibacterial soap that I have at first, it's medical grade. My doctor gave it to me for a MRSA infection that I had. I diluted it A LOT before using it. Then I  tried to rinse everything out with warm water and saline.

The vet is close enough, but she didn't seem to think I would need anything other than saline and warm water. It's looking much better today, though I haven't attempted to rinse it out again yet. My hubby isn't home and it's a two person job :)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I probably wouldnt bother with the medical wash some of them are toxic to cats. The most common MRSA wash is toxic to cats.  I would google the active ingredient to make sure.