Author Topic: Greyhounds?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline RAT-BIRD

Greyhounds?
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
I just got two greyhounds, and im wondering if when they stay home alone, will they really just sleep?? Or will they do some things to make trouble(like chewing up furniture, barking, peeing??).

Also, i've heard that you can't trust a greyhound off leash. Does this rule still apply even if you train a dog? For ex. my old shih tzu,(rest in peace  :'() would never just run away into the street or somewhere else. THANKS!!!!!!

Offline MomOfJixi

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life is better with love and laughter
    • Canine Training
Re: Greyhounds?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
Honestly, it depends on the dog. I have never owned a greyhound but from what I understand, the majority cannot be trusted off-leash due to their high prey-drive. If they see something they view as prey, they are off and you won't be able to divert their attention from the 'prey'
"Love is a rhythm, free the music inside" -me

Mom to: 4 doggie kids, 10 rattie kids, and one gorgeous human girl

Offline RAT-BIRD

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »
OK, thanks. ;D

Offline Bruxey

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »
I saw from some of your other posts that you are thinking about getting rats.  If these are off-the-track dogs I would be very wary of bringing home any type of small animal.  Racing greyhounds are trained to go after small animals, and can destroy a cage more quickly than you can imagine to get at them.  Some off-the-track dogs are fine with small animals, but some can be extremely dangerous with them. 

Just a little heads up, if you already knew all this I apologize!

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »
I have a greyhound mixed foster and she's wonderful with other animals though I wouldn't trust her alone with the little ones alone. No dog should be left alone with them in my opinion. I always recommend a door between a dog/cat and a small pet of any sort.

As everyone said, it really depends on the individual dog.

Offline RAT-BIRD

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
The greyhounds were good around my friend's hamsters. The only  thing they really did was sniff them...