Author Topic: Allergy to Cats?  (Read 912 times)

Offline RAT-BIRD

Allergy to Cats?
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
            I'm really not sure if im allergic to cats or not... This summer i volunteered at a local
            animal shelter and whenever i visited the cat section, my throat would get really itchy and my eyes red. But recently i went over my best friends house and i had no problem with her cats(she has 4).

Any ideas??????????????

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Allergy to Cats?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:32 PM »
It might have just been the sheer volume of dander at the shelter that did you in. 

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Yep, Im voting for volume as well. Also my husband who was very allergic to all cats cant be around some cats and is fine around others.  Going to the dog groomers gets me with allergies but I can be around dogs just fine.

Offline RAT-BIRD

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:28:22 AM »
Second the volume comment.  I can pet a dog, if I go and wash my hands and some breeds are worse than others.  I can't even go into my friend's house (even if I don't pet) with her wonderful golden, who she keeps groomed, without completely being overcome with all kinds of symptoms.  (Goldens really do me in).  Some breeds really do distribute more allergens, too.

(Oddly enough on my skin test, I didn't show up allergic to dogs.  Oh, REALLY?!)

Best o' luck!  - Raaz.