Author Topic: Best dog food??  (Read 1002 times)

Offline PVTNate

• My dumbo rat Daisy is in this picture!
Best dog food??
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
Hey guys so I was wondering what the best type of dogs food are? I am doing a school project for Dog food and I need examples of good brand dog foods. If you could also give me some dog food brands that aren't so good. In my research that I have done so far, I found that the brands that everything thinks are the best (the common ones) are actually in no way healthy for the dog. Thank you for your help:D
Father of...... 3 rats (Josephine, Daisy, and Sandy), 1 Guinea Pig (Goldey), 1 mouse (Sue), and 2 gerbils (Romeo and Juliet)
*R.I.P Dolly*
*Welcome Sandy*

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Re: Best dog food??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »
I like taste of the wild, and wellness (core). I prefer a grain free food over foods with grains in them.

In my experience, most store brand foods are just plan bad. It seems to me like they are just sugar for dogs. 
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
That is a loaded question. There are different ideas of "good" based upon personal opinion and projecting ideals onto our pets vs actual nutritional research and diet formulation. There isn't any one "best" dog food as each dog will do well on slightly different diets. It took quite a bit of trial and error to find what one of my dogs does best on, and it isn't the same as what one of my other dogs needs for his medical conditions. For a school project, I'd look more for diets that have scientific studies to back up their claims with people who have degrees in nutrition vs people who just decided one day that they were qualified to formulate a diet based upon what they think a dog should eat.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
My opinion based on the research I've done, a raw diet is best for our dogs (not necessarily the processed kind you can now buy, though). Of the processed diets available... one that is grain free, meat-based, and uses minimal by-products or meals is best. I personally don't prescribe to any particular brand. If my animals need to eat a processed diet, I examine the ingredients and nutritional content of those diets available, and pick the best one for my animals.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
My opinion based on the research I've done, a raw diet is best for our dogs (not necessarily the processed kind you can now buy, though). Of the processed diets available... one that is grain free, meat-based, and uses minimal by-products or meals is best. I personally don't prescribe to any particular brand. If my animals need to eat a processed diet, I examine the ingredients and nutritional content of those diets available, and pick the best one for my animals.

Agreed. I am not in a place to do a raw diet but I agree that a raw based diart would be bast for my Diver Dog. From what I have researched, a grain free, meat based works the best. For us, cost wise and benefit wise, TOTW works best for us.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.