Author Topic: GRR!! The cat next door!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
GRR!! The cat next door!
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
Abby is a strictly indoor kitty.  The only time she is outside is when she is in her transport cage on the way to the vet, or when she lies in the window ledge enjoying the weather.  That is absolutely the closest she ever get to being outside.

Anyway, this morning she was laying in the window ledge minding her own business and enjoying the weather, when all of a sudden the cat from next door was hissing at her and hanging onto the window screen!  It startled Abby, who jumped backwards onto the table in front of the window, knocking a few things off and setting the table to wobbling.  Then Abby jumped back into the window ledge, all puffed up and hissing back at the cat.

I ran to the window to get the cat to back off, which it would not do!  It kept hissing at Abby!!  I had to hit on the screen to startle the cat off, who then ran to my front door to glare in through the sidelights.  I had to chase the cat away from the door and it than ran across to the driveway across the street and sat down, glaring at the house and me.  ARGH!!!  Guess I now need to keep a spray bottle next to me when the window is open.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: GRR!! The cat next door!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
I had that happen once, and it unnerved me completely.  Thankfully, it hasn't happened again, and hopefully your experience will be the same!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
Same problem here except the problem is my own cat inside. I had a horrible fiv/aids scare because of this.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

My very large lumpy old man cat with missing fangs saw the neighbors cat on the porch, the window was only open about 5 inches. Somehow he managed to squeeze through the tiny opening and wedge himself in the window enough to actually damage the screen frame and get it out of the window.

I we werent home at the time. There was blood and fur all over the porch and my angry cat sitting there. I called the vet and found out that the past vet had quit giving him fiv/aids vaccine because he was an indoor cat. Even though I have rescues and asked for the full profile. I had already stopped going to this vet for other reasons and never thought to look at the shot profile when he was vaccinated. It was a long wait to find out if he was negative.

Whenever he sees the other cats on the porch he goes postal. This is a mild mannered lazy lump of a cat. I have a full length glass storm door and went out to bbq I heard this huge thud and it was him trying to break his neck on the door because he saaw the cat.  >:( Ive never seen him move that fast.   ::)

In case somehow that other cat manages to get to yours make sure your cat is up to date on all vaccines. The other scary thing is my cat and a few of the others got a cold from this cat that wasnt something that would have been avoided with shots. Now I cant open the front windows anymore and have to call my husband to get him away from the door when I bbq.  :-\

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Thank you for the concerns, guys!  Abby doesn't seem the worse for wear after this morning, and has spent the day doing her usual.  Sleeping.  Anyway, I called my vet to make sure there isn't anything I need to worry about, Abby catching anything or stuff from the other cat.  I don't know if the other cat has been vaccinated against anything!  Thankfully, the vet said they don't see that we need to worry, as Abby has all her vaccines up to date. 

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »
Aw, your poor girl.  Now, that the neighbor's cat has started, this might not be the last time.  We had a cat start coming around to terrorize my girls when they were in the windows too.  I had never seen the cat previously, but it all of a sudden started coming by our property to go after my cats through a closed window at least once a day.  My one girl would start screaming and I'd know it was back again.  I'd chase it away, but it came back for weeks.  My last resort was to block off my windows.  I covered them, so the other cat couldn't see in and mine couldn't see out.  I think I left it like that for about 3-4 weeks straight.  I *think* that bored the outside cat enough that it went back to whatever its old routine was, because I haven't seen it since.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be!
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
Yup, he came back again tonight.  All dark outside and the lights inside are turned on.  I couldn't see him!  I could only hear him and see how Abby was acting.  I grabbed the spray bottle and got him GOOD!  I think this is going to happen again though, like ZooKeeper said.  I wish they would keep him inside!  It would be so much safer for him, plus he wouldn't bother Abby anymore.