Author Topic: ASF housing  (Read 1579 times)

Offline VampireSmeezeGirls

ASF housing
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »
Long story, but I now have 8 male ASF who need a vote towards best cage. I got the food and handling and wheel figured out, it's the cage I need help with.

Right now they are in a 150 gallon tank with a locked mesh top. It is cat proof.

They can have the modified Coast RC-7 that has the wheel cut out, homemade 8" deep metal pan and is hardware cloth covered. It held degus before they got their CN.

Or I'm willing to buy a suitable cage.

So what would suit the boys best?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: ASF housing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
Honestly, I housed my ASFs like mice just with a bit more space. Is it a 150 gallon long? If so, that should be suitable for 8 males as long as they have lots of things to play with. My boys liked wheels and low hanging hammocks, just like mice. Lots of hides and things to run through. :]

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »
It's a huge tank.  Not sure on measurements. It's one PetsMart sells on a stand, it was a floor model that had damage to the stand and wasn't water tight. It was $50, I figured I'd use it for a hospital cage.  I gave the boys the three spare wheels, some boxes, a few shelves, and 4 fleece squares as hammocks. Two water bottles, two food bowls. About half full with Carefresh and timothy hay. I need to get more toys, I know.

They seem ok in the tank, but they were in a 20 long. They race in circles, run in the wheels, and dig like fools.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »
You can try pming wheeljack.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »
Ok, tank is a standard 150 gallon, it's about 72" long and 24" wide. Didn't measure depth as it sits down in the stand a bit, maybe around 28-30" deep?

They are cute little buggers, I'll give them that.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:46:59 AM »
I think 8 in a cage that size is more than fine. I had a pair plus a couple fancy mice in a 20L and they did great. At that size, they have plenty of room. They really are adorable adn they have so much personality when they're worked with.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
So far, they are fine still. I put my hand flat in their cage and waited. They did come over and sniff me, didn't try to bite, so they aren't too bad temperament wise. The brave trio did let me stroke their backs carefully, then ran off.

The cats find them superior cat television, the boys don't care at viewers and keep exploring. The rats and goos think viewers means it's time to hang on the front to get out or hide in a hammock.