Author Topic: Hairballs & Scared Kitty  (Read 1323 times)

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
Hairballs & Scared Kitty
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:39:14 AM »
Over a week ago we experienced our first hairball incident and right on our bed yuck. Anyway what do you guys do to prevent them. I've been giving Ada pumpkin a few times a week. A friend told me castor oil. I was thinking about getting some of those hairball treats also.

One more thing I'm having problems with is her being scared of the furnace when it comes on. She's not afraid of the shopvac, but the furnace she bolts under the couch.  Will she eventually get used to it?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Hairballs & Scared Kitty
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
I'd increase the amount of pumpkin you're giving, if she's still having hairball issues.  It works well for my cats when given daily.  :)

As for the furnace?  She'll eventually adjust, once she figures out nothing scary happens when she hears that noise.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
No help on the hairball stuff but when was the last time you changed the filter? When they are dirty they can whistle and it might be making a noise only she can hear.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:24 AM »
Thanks Marybelle, we usually give her like a teaspoon at a time so I will start it everyday. She loves the stuff esp since making the fresh stuff.

forkyfork this is one of those blower heaters on the wall so it's always loud. It has a filter you vacuum and we just cleaned it before we turned it on for the cold weather. It's so weird though that she is not scared of the shopvac.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
Thanks Marybelle, we usually give her like a teaspoon at a time so I will start it everyday. She loves the stuff esp since making the fresh stuff.

forkyfork this is one of those blower heaters on the wall so it's always loud. It has a filter you vacuum and we just cleaned it before we turned it on for the cold weather. It's so weird though that she is not scared of the shopvac.

Cats sure are weird.  ;D

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »

Cats sure are weird.  ;D

Ditto to that lol. This is my first cat so she is very different from bunnies and rats that I am so used to ;) I :heart: her though!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:45 AM »
Our Maine Coon has what a Far Side cartoon called a "hyperactive barf gland." We feed him Aims sensitive stomach formula as the basic chow. It works better for him than the hairball formula. He still barfs from time to time, usually when there is drama in the household. The genetics of a Maine Coon with the sensitivity of an Oriental or Aby, the breeds I had most known for nervous tummies. Go figure.
--Best, Mountaintop--