Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! 65lb. Pit/Lab Mix, Ernie, Has Broken His Toenail :(  (Read 894 times)

Offline KTest1991

PLEASE HELP! 65lb. Pit/Lab Mix, Ernie, Has Broken His Toenail :(
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
Okay, so like the title says, my 65lb. male pit/lab mix, Ernie, has broken his toenail.  I feel so bad for him because an injury like that would have to be PAINFUL, right?  Well Ernie is very good at masking his pain, because the only way I even noticed it was because of the blood.  He is not favoring that foot (his back left), and is not constantly licking at it either.  His behavior did not change at all.  When I noticed the blood, I laid him down and took a look.  His "pinkie" tonail is almost completely gone, and his quick is visible.  Here is a diagram I reworked to show the damage:

There is no part that is dangling off (clean break).  I have read a lot online saying that you have to remove parts of the nail; however, I would assume they mean if there is any excess...? (So it doesn't move and grind together, I would think) Anyways, am I correct in assuming that this does not apply to me?  I have been cleaning it with the betadine from my kit, and trying to keep him inside to keep him out of the mud and possible infection. 

I have also read that a soak is good to remove possible debris and whatnot.  What else can I do to help this heal?  Like I said, he his is same old self - no favoring or licking... The only tenderness he seems to have is when I actually put pressure on it while cleaning.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated! 

P.S. I know I should take him to the vet, but we've had some pretty severe weather recently and my driveway is washed out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:30:06 PM by KTest1991 »

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: PLEASE HELP! 65lb. Pit/Lab Mix, Ernie, Has Broken His Toenail :(
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »
When my girl broke her nail off to the nail bed, we took her to the vet. They gave her an anti-inflammatory, wrapped it, and said to make sure she doesn't lick. It's definitely not an emergency.

Did you make sure the bleeding stopped? I'd just keep him out of the mud as you said, give it a clean (which you've been doing), and just let it heal. Make sure he doesn't chew it or lick it. It's definitely painful, but not life threatening. If you notice it being very painful, swelling of his toes or irritation, then get him to the vet. But as long as it's clean and not bothered by him, it'll heal up.

Offline KTest1991

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
So I messaged a friend of mine that works as a VA and this is what she said:

Me:
I removed the excess flakes of nail, and washed it well with betadine and warm water. I applied a little bit of antibiotic, added a gauze pad, and wrapped it up with vetwrap. Then a pulled a sock over it, taped it about halfway, and folded the top half over for more protection.

Sunny:
that sounds good to me. if you have any styptic powder that would work really well to stop bleeding, you can get it at a pet store, or you can gt styptic pencils that guys use for when they cut themselves shaving. the bleeding should stop on its own eventually. it'll most likely look a lot worse than it actually is.
 what you're doign should be fine. eventually the quick will scab up and will recede and he wont be in pain. just keep it clean and wrapped and it should be fine!!! :) i have nothing else to suggest except for what you've done! <3

He's not pulling on the sock or anything - I'm so proud of my baby and am glad to know he'll be alright :)
Thank you for the reply!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
If it's already wrapped, you don't even need the styptic powder, that's just to stop the bleeding. Cornstarch works exactly the same in a pinch, also! Glad to hear he's doing well. :)

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
Glad he's doing better!
~Alyssa