Author Topic: Looking for dwarf rat breeder near Chicago  (Read 1259 times)

Offline RLSRoyal

Looking for dwarf rat breeder near Chicago
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »
We have looked endlessly for a dwarf rat breeder in the Chicago IL. Area.  If you know of anyone plz let me know. The only breeder I have found is four hours away from me. My husband would most likely go crazy if I went on a 8 hour car ride. Lol I have already spent a lot of money on a new cage, toys etc. not knowing I wouldn't find a breeder. We would like to adopt two or three. Male or female.
Thank you  :BlueDumboBigEyes:
My Family
2 dogs
2 ferrets
4 rats
3 Kids
1 hubby

Offline AlexP

Re: Looking for dwarf rat breeder near Chicago
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:57:06 PM »
Are you set on dwarfs? If not, I do know of some reputable breeders. However, dwarfs have issues and no reputable breeders I know breed them.

Offline Titi26

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
I've had dwarfs before and they never has any type of health or social issues.  Any rat will have an issue if bred by an irresponsible breeder.

Offline RLSRoyal

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:12:06 PM »
I am still considering adopting normal size rats but After doing ALOT of research on rats and I agree with my husband probably too much research ( although I would never tell him that) lol.. Dwarf rats are appealing to me. I like the idea that they are more active than even a normal female rat, less traces of cancer and  they would be smaller than my 1.8 lb dog. Lol I wish I had known how new this verity was before I set my heart on adopting some. Found out the hard way when I started my research on breeders in the Chicago area. Who would have thought living in a huge city had less breeders than most states. Unfortunately most of the breeders here have closed down. I know of three that are still open. I just wanted to give it one more try in adopting a Dwarf rat and reach out to everyone who reads this. Oh and I agree that the work and care that some breeders have put into Dwarfs has made them just as healthy as normal size rats.
My Family
2 dogs
2 ferrets
4 rats
3 Kids
1 hubby

Offline Titi26

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
I also thought that dwarf rats would be much more active like a female rats but mines are super sweet, calm and loves to be handled.

Offline howdynrex

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »
Just wondering which ratteries are still in business in the Chicagoland area?You mentioned only three are?Just wondering for future reference  :D

Offline RLSRoyal

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
The only breeders I have found to be actively breeding and have a website in Il. Are:

Sweet Genes Rattery- I have read ALOT of nice things about her and her breeding lines.
Moonlit Waters- also read nice stuff about this breeder.
Patter Patter Rattery- I don't know anything about this breeder, but I have been doing some digging.
I stumbled on his name in the Goosemoose forum.
    I have not talked to any of them personally. I didn't want to bug them with stupid questions and I like to read feed back and get info from word of mouth. All three have great websites tho :) filled with tons of good info.

The breeders who are no longer breeding unfortunately because I had read really nice things about are:
Blaze Craze Rattery
Paradise Rattery
Cove Rattery
Dazzle Me
Social Rats
Pixie Rattery
The Rat Cave- still breeding but moved to California

I hope this will help anyone who is looking in Illinois narrow down your search. I didn't list all of the ones I found that are closed for now. Just the ones I remember. I also looked in IN.,WI. And MI. But all are around 3 hours or more drive from Chicago. Good luck :)
My Family
2 dogs
2 ferrets
4 rats
3 Kids
1 hubby

Offline howdynrex

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:12:02 AM »
Great,thanks so much for the info.  I did get my two ratties that I have right now from one of the Ratteries that is no longer in business here,and did not have a good experience at all!!!Was just looking ahead to the future with possible options.  Thank you for all the info and excellent research!!!

Offline RLSRoyal

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
Yep, I am wrong! Dazzel me Rattery is still breeding. I don't know how I over looked that. Thank you for the correction.
My Family
2 dogs
2 ferrets
4 rats
3 Kids
1 hubby

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
I live in Chicago and we adopted from Sixth Happiness Rodentry. I really really like him and our rats are the most well socialized rats that I have ever had.

Monlight waters seems to be the most ethical one however.

Also I hear great things about Sweet Genes as well.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
RLSRoyal, as has been said, please, research any rattery you are considering supporting, thoroughly. Also, do a bit more research on the rat genetics before deciding on adopting a dwarf rat, there are, possibly, unpleasant factors that go along with breeding animals with genetic mutations.

Here are good examples of lab mice affected with dwarfism: http://jaxmice.jax.org/strain/001618.html, http://jaxmice.jax.org/strain/010822.html, http://jaxmice.jax.org/strain/000510.html

Am I saying that it's always that horrific, no, but I would like to make the point that such genetic mutations as dwarfism can bring with them some health concerns. Yes, I know the above examples are lab mice, but rats and mice can at least be compared when it comes to genetics, they are both rodents after all. I also know that the above may not be recorded in pet strains of dwarfed rodents, but there is the possibility of one or more of the above health issues afflicting a pet strain, 'good' breeding or not.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
Just a reminder that this is not the place for discussion.  Unless you have something to offer the OP in terms of what she requested, it doesn't go here!

Offline FrauleinAsh

• Peek a boo!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »
I would just like to say to the OP that 4 hours is NOTHING when considering a reputable rat breeder you're interested in adopting from! There are many of us on this forum that travel nation wide sometimes for good blood, and often times state-to-state. Consider yourself very fortunate!

Now, your husband might not see it like that, but here's a suggestion: use that 8 hr trip as some time for the two of you to do something special together, perhaps pack a little picnic basket and stop half way (with one of those disposable grills, maybe? Men love food/meat!) play some games in the car like "20 questions" or that game where you guys guess a person to be and have only so many questions to find out who you are, or just use the time to talk or sing to your fave tunes. Road trip! And for a good cause. Many breeders will meet you a certain distance away for some added gas money, too. I know that you know how to work your woman magic on him, girl! Tell him the adoption process is special and you want to remember this experience forever since their lives are so short, you'll have this LOVELY story to share about how you traveled from afar to obtain the perfect friend and family member! :)

Well, that's my advice anyway.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:05:07 PM by FrauleinAsh »

Pets name: Meeper
Adopt your own!