Author Topic: Anyone want to Share Mice home Pictures?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Rosepetalbed

Anyone want to Share Mice home Pictures?
« on: November 04, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »
 I am a new foster Mom of Mice and looking for ideas of cages and set ups....Also any Tips! It seems my foster girls pee in one corner of the tank....Is potty training possible? I have 7 girls in a 10 gallon tank with High Rise....but thinking about getting a cage instead of a tank....I currently use Aspen but noticing it smells a lot sooner than my rat cage so wondering if there is a bedding thatís better for odor?

Any feedback appreciated   
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Anyone want to Share Mice home Pictures?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
The reason it smells is the number of mice. 3 to a ten gallon is the maximum. I wouldn't put more than 4 even with a tank topper. I personally hate cages for fancy mice. I don't think it helps the smell and unless I've has 1/4" wire mesh, I've been uncomfortable with them potentially escaping.

I used aspen. I would never use paper based beddings with mice, I feel like they reek very quickly.

If I were you, I'd try to find a 20-29gallon long tank and switch to that. They will definitely smell if they don't have enough space. Also depending on what they are eating.

What do you have in the cage? Do you have ropes, chews, hides, boxes, hammocks, things to climb and pee on?

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!!! I had put out a "want ad" for a fish tank not required to hold water....and a Lady responded not to far from me and offered her 55 gallon tank with stand  :thumbsup2: I would need to purchase a screen cover but excited to say the least!  I will continue to use the Aspen and hope once they move to a bigger tank the smell will weaken!!  :) She is not getting a replacement tank will Wednesday and the soonest I can pick up is Friday so will have to make due till then!

A yes they have a igloo, fleece rope to climb on, a wheel, 1 Flying saucer wheel, another bridge decor with hiding underneath, tissue box with cotton type bedding and empty toilet paper rolls   :thumbsup2:
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
A bigger home will definitely help and I find shavings don't do anything good in the way of smells for any animal. I used normal carefresh for my mice and didn't have a problem(make sure you freeze it for 48 hours because of possible mites).
When I made my tank cover I just made a frame out of scrap wood in a picture frame style and staple gunned the mesh on top. It sat snuggly onto the tank and no one could ever escape. I used 1/4" mesh for it and once had a male escape from a half inch spaced cage.
I'd say put a small tupperware dish in the corner filled with a different bedding than the rest of the cage and see if they take to it for a litter box. You may be lucky!
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
I personally couldn't stand carefresh for anything. It was dusty and made us all sneeze on top of not controlling odor. But I know some people enjoy it. You can also put a small amount of baking soda under the bedding. I definitely think your main issue is just cage size.

Also, for the top of our big 75 gallon tank, we just got some hardwire cloth and made a lid. 1/4" squares and it was perfect because we could hang hammocks from it. :]

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
So I have the 55 gallon tank with stand.....minor issue....I didn't think ahead as to where its going to go...so its sitting in my truck since Friday  :doh: I have a hermit crab tank thats 125 gallon I have a frog tank thats 30 gallons a double critter nation and a double ferret nation 6 people and 3 bedrooms.... :help: I need to figure out where its going  ::)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »
 :yelcutelaugh: :yelcutelaugh:

Uh-oh! I was very lazy when I had my huge tank, and I kept it on the floor.  :yelcutelaugh: But I have a colony of a dozen and it was too heavy to lift, so it made life easier.