Author Topic: Rocky  (Read 942 times)

Offline weeze

• Posts Too Much!
  • Cado 2001-2006
Rocky
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:02:44 AM »

I find myself some days thinking back to pets of long ago.  I'm sure everyone has a special memory of that special fur ball.

I named my first cat Rocky. 

40 years ago, sharing a college apartment just south of the university, was a good time.  A neighbor stray, a big orange sweetheart, had a regular route around all the apartments.  To get to our door, someone had to let him into the building and his ability to get in always amazed me.

We'd open our door and he stroll in like he owned the place.  He'd stay for a few days and then he'd leave.

One morning we opened the door and 2 kittens were there.

The little male adopted me.  I remember being awakened at 6 am with him tapping my eyelids ...... " Get up, I'm hungry" ........ "You wanna play"

I had never been around cats much, let alone kittens.  I figured what had worked with the family dog surely would work with this kitten.

I trained him to walk on a leash ....... to stay ..... to jump up on things ..... to get down from things.

He grew to be my 15 pound protector who went with me everywhere. 

The tassels on his ears made him look exotic to say the least. More than one person thought he was a baby Lynx.

He'd ride behind my neck on the car seat and scared more than person. 

Those were the days when gas station attendants pumped your gas and one guy freaked seeing him ........ "LADY WHAT IS THAT?"  I loved saying "Just a cat silly. Just a cat."  :yelcutelaugh:

I use to take him to horse shows ...... one couple walked by talking about all the exotic animals horse people owned while staring at my Rocky.  Yeah I owned a cat and an Appaloosa  ....... get a life  :yelcutelaugh:

Rocky didn't like German Shephards ... he'd back them into a corner, lay down with his back to them with a sort of Clint Eastwood make my day challenge.

We always assumed the big orange boy was his Daddy .... funny thing ...  he never came back after the kittens appeared. 
Dance to the music of your dreams.  Your steps will bring you joy.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Rocky
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
What a lovely story! Rocky seems like he was a very unique cat. How long did he live?

Offline weeze

• Posts Too Much!
  • Cado 2001-2006
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
I'm thinking he was 14 to 15 years old.  It was sometime in the mid 80's but I'm loathe to remember exactly.  I think of him in the present tense, maybe that's why I don't remember exactly.

As a kitten he'd sleep around/on my neck.  I assume my beating heart was a comfort to him.  He wanted to continue sleeping there at 15 lbs though  :yelcutelaugh:.  We finally agreed he'd sleep above my head, but I'd find a paw in my face many mornings.

And that's where he died .... in my bed he quietly slipped away.
Dance to the music of your dreams.  Your steps will bring you joy.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »
What a beautiful boy and great story
--Best, Mountaintop--