Author Topic: weird lump on the Diver dog.  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
weird lump on the Diver dog.
« on: November 06, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
A few weeks ago I noticed a little hard spot on Diver's front leg, down near his 'ankle' where his foot meets the rest of his leg. I didn't think anything of it and shrugged it off as a scab, scratch, scar, etc. It wasn't noticable just looking at it, but you could feel it.

Fast forward to yesterday and I noticed it again. This time I can see it. It's maybe pea sized and still very hard. It seems to not be attached to his bone, but I could be mistaken. It's kind of hard to tell. I think it moves around, but that may just be the skin moving around.

I have no idea what it could be. He doesn't seem to be in any pain (and he's a wuss) when I touch and manipulate it. I can push on it and he just looks at me like I'm crazy. (He looks at me that way a lot).
I am going to call the vet in a few weeks, but funds are incredibly tight and I had to break into the vet fund to help pay rent this month. I am waiting for unemployment to pull through, which is taking FOREVER.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: weird lump on the Diver dog.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
It could be lots of things. But- boxers are prone to many types of cancers. I know money is tight and you can only do what you can, but sooner is better than later. I think a few weeks will be fine as long as it doesn't grow suddenly or start to bother him, but I wouldn't wait months on it.

Some possibilities:
Histiocytoma (benign)
Cutaneous hemangiosarcoma
Mast cell tumor
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
I would get him in to have it evaluated. I definitely wouldn't wait long, but a few weeks shouldn't be bad if it isn't growing quickly.

I recently had a tumour removed from my girl. It was a mass cell tumour and when we were talking, my vet mentioned that boxers are particularly prone to mass cell tumours, as well as brindle coloured dogs being prone to them (Not sure if Diver is brindle, but I thought I'd mention it.). We had it evaluated and waited a couple months to have it removed and while it grew, it still came off without an issue. She's not quite 4 yet, so young dogs can definitely get them, which I was aware of but a bit surprised.

Good luck!

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:17:36 AM »
I watched this video a little while ago, maybe it can be of some help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trotof8Dt-o

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
Hopefully my unemployment checks will actually start arriving in the next three weeks and I will be able to take him in. It sucks because I have always been able to take care of him as needed. Vet visits were never a problem before, for him or for the kitties. Being unemployed is just a pain in the behind.

I was/am worried about cancer related things. Diver was a rescue so we really don't know his background that well. Just that his mother was elderly for a boxer (she was 6 or 7) and had been part of a BYB for many years, so she most likely had countless litters. He's only just turned 3 and he's red/fawn, not a brindle but he's still a Boxer and he has a few other concerning health issues that are being monitered. Those are mainly allergies, and a slight heart murmur.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »
It was a mass cell tumour and when we were talking, my vet mentioned that boxers are particularly prone to mass cell tumours, as well as brindle coloured dogs being prone to them (Not sure if Diver is brindle, but I thought I'd mention it.).

They are actually called mast cell tumors vs mass. Just wanted to get that in there in case people try to search for them. There is a link in my first post about them.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
It was a mass cell tumour and when we were talking, my vet mentioned that boxers are particularly prone to mass cell tumours, as well as brindle coloured dogs being prone to them (Not sure if Diver is brindle, but I thought I'd mention it.).

They are actually called mast cell tumors vs mass. Just wanted to get that in there in case people try to search for them. There is a link in my first post about them.

Oop, thank you! I've only heard the word spoken, not really written down (All our paperwork mostly just said tumour), so of course I botched it, lol.