Author Topic: Little Miss Dally and Carpet Questions.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline LotusWolf

• Posts Too Much!
  • Save a life, or two, or three. Adopt an animal.
Little Miss Dally and Carpet Questions.
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »
Last week I started noticing that Dally's belly started to darken a lot more than it had been. Her belly between her thighs was starting to turn absolutely blackish. A thorough bath proved not to improve things. She also started to have blackened dry crusty spots with slight hair loss on her flanks in a couple places. I took her in to see the vet I usually go to and they gave her an allergy shot and prescribed her with prednisone after doing skin samples. They let me know that it could possibly be environmental/seasonal allergies or possibly fleas. At least it's treatable and I know she's going to be alright.

The next part of my post is linked to the prednisone. The side effects of course are extreme thirst and excess urination. I've been walking her much more frequently (her and Bear are both indoor dogs and they use the bathroom outside when I walk them) but it seems it's not been enough even doing that. She's peed on my carpet 3 times in the last few days. I scrub it up the best I can but my home smells now. :/ I live in a small trailer so you can imagine it effects a larger area. Of course she has to go on the only carpeted area of the place which happens to be my living room. I've tried Resolve foam, carpet powders (which my vacuum hates apparently and precedes to spit back onto the carpet), Odo-ban, and Febreze Pet, but nothing is working to get the smell out of my carpet. Has anyone found a budget-friendly solution that works for them?

And a couple pictures of my Dally:

You can see in this one where her belly was darkening a bit, but I didn't think much of it at the time since it'd been like that for a good while and she was fine. However when it worsened, I took her straight to the vet.

And just because it got Bear in there as well (I no longer have the cat. That was Yogi. I fostered him for 4 months before finally finding him a loving home where he's now spoiled rotten even more so than he was with new dogs to torture.) You can see the ratty cage in the back as well. xD

Offline staarlight

Re: Little Miss Dally and Carpet Questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
What a cutie! I'd suggest natures miracle :)
Owned by three demanding ratties :)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
I'd recommend vinegar, either straight white distilled, or slightly diluted in water.

I have an incontinent pup that has to have a towel in his crate through out the day and I wash his towels with a cup of vinegar, after they've been in the hamper a few days. There isn't the slightest hint of urine on them when they come out of the washer.

Just make sure you test that it wont stain the carpet and that you rinse it well.

Good luck
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:29:52 PM »
I also use vinegar. Try putting some puppy pads down.

My girl is allergic to just about everything, so she goes outside at limited times (In the evenings when it's cooler and pollen count is low, otherwise she breaks into oozing welts and swells up.), so she has to potty inside during hot days or bad allergen days. We use puppy pads and they're a godsend. We use benedryl and also prednisone. I don't know if they told you this, but don't be surprised by weight gain, also.

Offline LotusWolf

• Posts Too Much!
  • Save a life, or two, or three. Adopt an animal.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input!!! And RattiesSix, I had to look up the side effects for myself seeing as my mother never informed me of what they might be. I'm unsure if the vet let her know or not but I'd think they would have as much as I've been there. I wanted to take her in myself but I go to school and work part time, so the only way to get her in was to have my mom and grandma take her in while I went to class.