Author Topic: Glucosamine?  (Read 930 times)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Glucosamine?
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
I am trying to find a good brand of glucosamine/chondroitin/msm for my mum's elderly dog displaying joint issues. But I'm trying to order offline nad having a hard time finding a good brand. Anyone care to share what they use? He's about 50pounds.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Glucosamine?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
My vet recommended human-grade supplements.  They aren't expensive, and the quality control is apparently better than the pet brands.  My Muffin was around 45 pounds and took (I think) 1000 mg/day, but you should check with your vet for dosing to be safe.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
I went ahead and ordered the above. I couldn't find the specifications on the human grade supplements. They were so vague online. It'll last about a month though, so when this runs out, I'm going to try to get to the health food store and see if they have human grade supplements.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »
I'm a fan of the pet products that have studies backing them up. Dasuquin is what I use for my boy (along with a crap ton of other supplements and drugs- he needs $5000 worth of surgery I can't afford and may or may not help).

Dasuquin product info
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline dogsnbears

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
I thought this looked pretty good for the price: http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-GlucosamineChondroitin-Sulfate,-220-Tablets.product.11540398.html  I haven't used it though because I couldn't find it (maybe because I live in Canada)