Author Topic: Feral Kitten Progress & Pictures  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
Feral Kitten Progress & Pictures
« on: November 30, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
I figured I would start a new post to continue the story of my 4 feral kittens that I am currently working with. You can find the beginning of the story over here:

http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4097461.0
It's the last few posts in that thread.

I will keep this updated with stories, pictures, and (hopefully!) progress!

So, all 4 kittens have been trapped now, the mom got spayed on Wed and I picked her up yesterday afternoon. I have to keep her crated in the house for a few days.... boy... she does not like that. She got loose when transferring her from the carrier to the XL dog crate last night.... 3 hours later I finally got her in there. I mostly just left her alone as I didn't want her to freak out and mess up her spay stitches. When she first got loose she was hanging from the ceiling. No blood or anything on the towels/fleece in the crate so I think everything is fine. She has not eaten or had anything to drink though, so I am a bit worried. I can't tell for sure though because she flipped everything upside down and food and water were everywhere. Hopefully she will eat something tonight.

The kittens... I have had 2 for 5 days, 1 for 4 days, and 1 for 3 days. So far, I had not been able to touch any of the kittens, but tonight I had to pull the little long haired kitten out because he had a bunch of poop stuck in his fur around his back end. He has REALLY long hair! He freaked when I took him out but once I got him in the sink of water he relaxed and didn't seem to mind! He let me get him all cleaned off and then I took him back in their room and got him dried off, pet him a little, and even brushed his hair out. He only struggled with me a little, but allowed me to get him all cleaned up. That gives me a lot of hope that these little hissing, spitting, scared kittens will come around!

I still am not sure on how old they are. With them surely being malnourished  prior to being trapped, I know that could effect development and size. I have watched about 100 kitten videos on youtube (I know, what horrible research!  :P  ) tying to figure out their ages, but I really am not getting anywhere since I think a lot of people just guess ages and have no idea! I am still guessing about 8-10 weeks.

Right now I am working on withholding wet food (they have dry for free feeding) until this evening so that I can hopefully get them to eat with me standing there next to the bowl. They are still going to a foster home but not until they make a little progress and can at least be held and given treatment for fleas.

And now of course, pictures! (and yes, they have flung food, poo, and who knows what all over the wall behind the FN... that's going to be taken care of tomorrow, I'm going to hang a bath curtain behind the cage for easy cleaning.)

& 17 Hermit Crabs + 3 Crazy Kitties: Jack, Sullivan, & Bennett  <3

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Feral Kitten Progress & Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
Poor precious kids.  Hopefully they'll soon figure out that you're a nice person, and not trying to hurt them.  :)

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »
I'm so happy I could cry! I just went in their room and one kitten was playing with a toy! I have not seen them play at all. And even more amazing... one was PURRING!!!! I have *never* heard a feral cat purr, even Sullivan who I have had since July... This is awesome!   :heart:

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Yay!

Offline Rats_Red

• Rat mommy to 2 girls!!
    • Once Upon a Lop Rabbitry
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
omg i am not one for orange tabbys, but i totally need that LH tabby!

So great of you to put your time and money into this to help with the population and hopefully save a couple lives
Home to...
Rats: Rodger & Lillian
Buns: Murphy & Sebi. Maggie, Ripley, & Po
Cat: Romeo
Dog: Kodi
and 3 kids...18mo, 4.5, and 24!!

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
Ok, I think we have 2 girls and 2 boys. 1 of the boys I am not 100% sure on (I am really bad at sexing things.)

One of the little girls is a total lover... she likes to be held, I can pick her right up out of the cage, she snuggles in my lap and purrs SO LOUD! The other 3... not so much... but we are making progress! All of them but 1 will eat wet food off a spoon I am holding!! And they do not run and hide when I enter the room anymore.

Here are some more pictures!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »
What gorgeous little babies. I love tabby cats, especially with white chests. <3 So glad to hear they're coming around a bit!

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
They are so cute! I love yellow tabbies.  :heart:
~Carolyn~

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
Congrats on the progress!  They'll all get there!  My youngest cat (now 5) was an 'evil' little 2 month old feral when she was found, too.  I'm the one that put the most time into working with her, so she became mine.  I still remember the first time I held her, she fought a bit and then fell asleep in my arms while I scratched her ears.  A few minutes later she woke up, saw where she was, and freaked about the fact that she let that happen!  :heart: 

Good luck!
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko